Albert Rudolphus HOWARD

Replies: 10

Albert Rudolphus HOWARD

Posted: 13 Jun 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Pension
Edited: 7 Apr 2002 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: HOWARD, VANALSTINE
Albert Rudolphus HOWARD: Civil War: Soldier & Widows Pension File:
MILITARY SERVICE: Civil War Co. D 12th Inf Mich Vols. Capt Wm E. STURT, Commander.
DOCUMENT # 1 :
Declaration for an Original Invalid Pension.
This must be Executed before a Court of Record or some Officer thereof having Custody of the Seal.
State of Michigan, County of Charlevoix, SS: ON THIS 30th day of June A.D. one thousand eight hundred and ninety personally appeared before me a Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court a Court of Record within and for the County and State aforesaid Albert R HOWARD aged 44 years, who being duly sworn according to law, declares that he is the identical Albert R HOWARD who was ENROLLED as a Private on the 15th day of March 1864, in Company D of the 12th regiment of Mich Inft Vols Commanded by Captain Nelson U. CLAFLIN and discharged at Camden Arkansas on the 15th day of February, 1866; That his personal description is as follows: Age 19 years; height 5 feet 6 3/4 inches; complexion Dark hair Brown; eyes Blue. That while a member of the organization aforesaid, in the service and in the line of duty at or near White River in the State of Arkanses on or about the 15th day of June 1865, he ((Here state the name or nature of disease, or the location of wound or injury. If disabled by disease, state fully its cause; if by wound or injury, the precise manner in which received.) Contracted Rheumatism caused by exposure and fording said River when overheated through water nearly to my arms while on march with the regiment from Little Rock to Washington Arkansas That he not treated in hospitals. (Here state the names or numbers, and the localities of all hospitals in which treated, and the dates of treatment.)
That he has not been employed in the military or naval service otherwise than stated above (Here state what the service was, whether prior or subsequent to that stated above and the dates at which it began and ended.) That he has not been in the military or naval service of the United Stated since the 15th day of February 1866 That since leaving the service this applicant has resided in the Counties of Eaton and Charlevoix in the State of Michigan, and that his occupation has been that of a Farmer That prior to his entry into the service above-named he was a man of good, sound, physical health, being when enrolled a Farmer That he is now very mutch disabled from obtaining his subsistence by manual labor by reason of his injuries; above described, received in the service of the United States; and he therefore makes this declaration for the purpose of being placed on the invalid pensiion roll of the United States. He hereby appoints with full power of substitution and evocation, Samuel CHADWICK of Grand Ledge Michigan his true and lawful attorney to prosecute his claim. That he has not received nor applied for a pension; that his residence is Charlevoix county Michigan and that his post office address is Boyn Falls county of Charlevoix State of Michigan
(Signature of claimant.) Albert R HOWARD
John WEBSTER
George W JONES
(Two witnesses who can write sign here.) (continued on next document)
----------
DOCUMENT # 2:
(continued from previous page)
Also personally appeared John WEBSTER residing at Boyne City Michigan and George W JONES residing at Boyne City Michigan persons whom I certify to be respectable and entitled to credit, and who being by me duly sworn, say that they were present and saw Albert R HOWARD, the claimant sign his name (make his mark) to the foregoing declaration; that they have every reason to believe from the appearance of said claimant and their acquaintance wih him that he is the identical person he represents himself to be; and that they have no interest in the prosecution of this claim.
John WEBSTER (If affiants sign by mark, two persons who can write sign here.)
George W JONES
(Signature of Affiants.)
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 30th day of June A.D. 1890 and I hereby certify that the contents of the above declaration, &c., were fully made known and explained to the applicant and witnesses before swearing, including the words_____ erased, and the words_____added: and that I have no interest, direct or indirect in the prosecution of this claim. Orlando BLAIR
Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court of Charlevoix County Michigan [L.S.]
(Stamped) US PENSION OFFICE JUL 7 1890 INVALID CLAIM FOR PENSION. ORIGINAL.
Albert R HOWARD Co. D 12 Mich Inft Enlisted 15th March 1864 Discharged 15th February 1866 Filed by Samuel CHADWICK Grand Ledge Michigan
----------
DOCUMENT # 3:
Mid Div. C C G Ex'r No. 788,315 Albert R HOWARD Pvt-Co D 12 Mich Inf
Department of the Interior, Bureau of Pensions, Washington, D.C. Dec 15, 1890
Sir: It is alleged that Albert R HOWARD enlisted Mar 15, 1864 and served as a Pvt in Co D, 12 Reg't Mich Inf and was discharged at Camden Ark, Feb 15, 1866
It is also alleged that while on duty at White River Ark on or about June 15, 1865, he was disabled by rheumatism and was treated in hospitals of which the names, locations, and dates of treatment are as follows: none
In case of the above-named soldier the War Department is requested to furnish an official statement of the enrollment, discharge, and record of service so far as the same may be applicable to the foregoing allegation together with full medical history. Please give the rank he held at the time he is claimed to have incurred the disability alleged, and if records show he was not in line of duty during that period, let the fact be stated. Very respectfully,
Green B RAWN Commissioner. The officer in charge of the Record and Pension Division, War Department.
----------
DOCUMENT # 4 :
No. 788315 WAR DEPARTMENT. RECORD AND PENSION DIVISION. Respectfully returned to the Commissioner of Pensions. Albert HOWARD Co. D 12 Reg't Mich Vol. Inf was enrolled Feb 12, 1864 and M.O. with Co. Feb 15, 1866 Name
Albert R HOWARD has not been found in rolls of Co. From Feb 28, 1865, to Oct 31, 1865 he held the rank of Private and during that period the rolls show him present: ("except as follows" is crossed out) Other records furnish nothing addl. bearing upon this case The medical records show him treated as follows as A HOWARD Febr 16 to 18/65 Out From Febr 19 to 21/65 Out From duty: Apl 3 to 5/65 Diarrhea: July 1 + 2/65 Out From, duty. Nothing addl found. (Stamped) US PENSION OFFICE DEC 18 1890 By authority of the Secretary of War: F. C AINSWORTH Captain and Ass't Surgeon, U.S. Army. Date DEC 17 1890
(COMMISSIONER OF PENSIONS.)
----------
DOCUMENT # 5:
Middle Div. (Stamped) US
PENSIONS OFFICE DEC 28 1891
J B???? Ex'r
Orig ??? No. 788,315
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR.
Albert R. HOWARD

BUREAU OF PENSIONS.
Co. D 12 Reg't Mich Vol

WASHINGTON, D.C.
Return this letter with your reply.

Dec. 11, 1891.
Sir: To further aid this Bureau in determining the merits of the above entitled claim for pension, be kind enough to answer in your own handwriting the following questions, giving more complete details than your affidavit
affords.
Very respectfully, Green B RAWN Commissioner.
Andrew MARTIN Eq Clarion Mich
When did you first see claimant after he returned from the army, and how do you fix the date? Answer: In the year 1879 in April
Of what disability did he complain, and how was he affected? Answer: lame back and Rheumatism
How frequently have you seen him since your first acquaintance? Answer: Ones a Week on an Everigth
If he has continued to suffer with such disability, please describe the symptoms which were apparent to you, and state to what extent he has been disabled for manual labor thereby during each year? Answer: Sometime he was lame in her legs and sometimes in her back about two third her time
My means of knowing the facts of the case are these: by working to getter some and he worked for me by the day wen he was able
COMMISSIONER OF PENSIONS. Very respectfully,
Washington, D.C.

Andrew MARTIN
----------
DOCUMENT # 6:
ACT OF JUNE 27, 1890. DECLARATION FOR INVALID PENSION. STATE OF Michigan COUNTY OF Kalkaska SS. On this 18th day of Sept. A.D. one thousand eight hundred and ninety 7 before me, a Notary Public in and for the County and State aforesaid, personally appeared Albert R HOWARD aged 52 years, a resident of Clarion, County of Charlevoix State of Michigan, who being duly sworn according to law, declares that he is the identical Albert R HOWARD who was enrolled on the 15 day of Feb, 1864 as private in Co D, 12 Reg't Mich
Infy Vols., in the service of the United States during the war of the rebellion, and served at least ninety days, and was honorably discharged at or near Camden in the State of Ark, on the 15" day of Feb, 1866 That he has not been employed in the U.S. military or naval service otherwise than as stated above. (If in other service, here state in what organization, and when it began and ended.) That he has not been in the military or naval service of the United States since the 15 day of Feb 1866 That he is totaly unable to earn a support by reason of Rheumatism piles catarrh disease of the kidneys and Heart enlarged postate That the said disabilities are not due to vicious habits, and are to the best of his knowledge and belief permanent.
That he has received but applied for a pension under application No 788315
That he is a pensioner under certificate No_____If now pensioned, state your rate, number of certificate, and disabilities mentioned in it. If you have applied, but not received a pension, state when and for what disability and give number of claim. That he makes this declaration for the purpose of being placed on the pension roll of the United States under the provisions of the act of June 27, 1890. He hereby appoints James GREACEN, of KALKASKA, MICH., his true and lawful attorney to prosecute his claim. That his post-office address is Clairion county of Charlevoix state of Michigan Albert R HOWARD
(Signature of claimant.)
D.S. FERGUSON (Stamped) US PENSION OFFICE B SEP 22 1897 (and) ATTY FILED
Sadie MAGEE (Two witnesses who can write must sign here.) (continues on
next document.)
----------
DOCUMENT # 7:
(continues from previous page)
Also personally appeared Sadie MAGEE, residing at Kalkaska Mich and D S FERGUSON residing at Bellaire, Mich, persons whom I certify to be respectable and entitled to credit, and who, being by me duly sworn, say that they were present and saw Albert R HOWARD the claimant sign his name (make his mark is crossed out) to the foregoing declaration; that they have every reason to believe from the appearance of said claimant and their acquaintance with him for ___years and ___ years respectively, that he is the identical person he
represents himself to be; and that they have no interest in the prosecution of this claim. If either witness sign by mark, two persons who can write here. (blank) Sadie McGEE D.S. FERGUSON (Signature of two witnesses.)
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 18th day of Sept. A.D. 1897 I hereby certify that the contents of the foregoing declaration, &c., were fully made known and explained to the applicant and witnesses before swearing, including the words___erased, and the words___ added, and that I have no interest in said claim, either direct or indirect. William H NILES (Signature.) Notary Public (Official character.) [L.S.]
NOTE: This may be executed before any officer authorized to administer oaths.
If he has a seal and uses it, no certificate of the Clerk of a Court will be necessary; but if no seal be used, the County Clerk or the Clerk of a Court of Record must certify in his signature and official character.
Original No. 788, 315
Certificate No.________
INVALID APPLICATION FOR PENSION ACT OF JUNE, 1890 Albert R. HOWARD Co. D 12th
Regiment Mich. Inf't Volunteers. Address Clarion Charlevoix Co. Mich. FILED
BY JAMES GREACEN, SOLICITOR FOR CLAIMANT. KALKASKA, MICH.
----------
DOCUMENT # 8:
Middle Div. (Stamped) US PENSION OFFICE F DEC 13
1897 H.W.B., Ex'r
Or. In. No. 788,315. Department of the Interior,
Albert R. HOWARD BUREAU OF PENSIONS,
Co. D, 12 Reg't Mich V. In. Washington, D.C., Nov. 11, 1897
Sir: Will you kindly answer, at your earliest convenience, the questions enumerated below? The information is requested for future use, and it may be of great value to your family. Very respectfully, H Wm EVANS Commissioner.
Albert R. HOWARD, Clarion, Mich.
No. 1. Are you a married man? If so please state your wife's full name, and her maiden name.
Answer: Mary Melviney HOWARD. Mary Melviney VANALSTINE
No. 2. When, where, and by whom were you married? Answer: March 10, 1872
John CLAYTON minister of Oneida Twp Eaton Co Mich
No. 3. What record of marriage exists? Answer: we have our certificate Elijah E. BALDWIN Ann E BALDWIN of Roxand Eaton Co Mich as witnesses
No. 4. Were you previously married? If so please state the name of your former wife and the date and place of her death or divorce. Answer: no
No. 5. Have you any children living? If so, please state their names and the dates of their birth. Answer:
Maud M HOWARD Dec 30 1872
Robert F HOWARD March 1 1875
Elfie M HOWARD Sep 18 1877
Susan J HOWARD June 29 1882
Inah A HOWARD August 28 1879
Lillie A HOWARD Oct 13 1884
John S HOWARD June 6 1892
Date of reply, Dec 5, 1897.
Albert R HOWARD (Signature.)
----------
DOCUMENT # 9:
ACT OF June 27, 1890 DECLARATION FOR Original PENSION.
Under an Act Granting Pensions to Soldiers who are Incapacitated for the Performance of Manuel Labor and Providing for Pensions to Widows, Minor Children, and Dependent Parents.
STATE OF MICHIGAN, COUNTY OF Emmet} SS.
On this 28th day of Sept, A.D. one thousand eight hundred and ninety six, personally appeared before me, Chalmers CURTIS, a Notary Public in and for the County and State aforesaid, Albert R. HOWARD, aged 52 years, a resident of Chandler Township, County of Charlevoix State of Mich. who, being duly sworn according to law, declares that he is the identical Albert R. HOWARD who entered service during the War of the Rebellion under the name of Albert HOWARD on or about the 15 day of March 1864 as Private in company D of the 12th regiment of Mich. Infty commanded by Capt. Wm E. STUART and was HONORABLY DISCHARGED at Caurdy Arkansas on or about the 15th day of March 1866 by reason of service no longer required; that his personal description is as follows; Age,____years; height,___feet___inches; complexion,_______; hair,____; eyes,____. He the cannot give the exact dates for the reason that his original certificate of discharge was destroyed by fire. That he is now suffering from rheumatism piles, dizziness results of sunstroke, and kidney trouble. and that the said disabilities are, as he believes, of a permanent character, not the result of vicious habits, and incapacitates him from the performance of ordinary manual labor in such a degree as to render him unable to earn a support, and that he makes this declaration for the purpose of having his name placed upon the pension roll of the United States under the provisions of the Act of June 27, 1890,. That he has not been employed in the military, marine or naval service otherwise than as stated above since either before his enlistment day or day of his discharge in 1866 He hereby appoints, with full power of substitution and revocation, DOUGAL McKENZIE, of Petoskey, Michigan, his true and lawful Attorney, to prosecute his claim. That he has not received but had applied for a pension. + requested under old law No.
788,315 That his Post-office address is Clarion County of Charlevoix State of Michigan.
Albert R HOWARD (Claimant's Signature)
Two witnesses to claimant's signature sign here:
(1) John R. DAVIS
(2) Jefferson W. CRYDERMAN
(continued on next document)
----------
DOCUMENT # 10:
(continued from the previous document)
Also personally appeared John R. DAVIS, residing at Petoskey Mich. and Jefferson W. CRYDERMAN residing at Petoskey, Mich persons whom I verify to be respectable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, say they were present and saw Albert R. HOWARD the claimant sign his name (or make his mark) to the foregoing declaration; that they have every reason to believe from the appearance of said claimant and an acquantaince with him, that he is the identical person he represents himself to be; and that they have no interest in the prosecution of this claim.
Signature of Witnesses:{ John R. DAVIS { Jefferson W. CRYDERMAN
sworn to and subscribed before me this 28th day of September A.D. 1890, and I hereby certify that the contents of the above declaration, etc., were fully made known and explained to the applicant and witnesses before swearing, including the words___erased and the words___added; and that I have no interest, direct or indirect, in the prosecution of this claim. Chalmers CURTIS Notary Public, Emmet Co., Mich.
[L.S.]
Old law claim No. 788, 315 rejected I Orig. 788,315 ACT June 27, 1890
INVALID CLAIM FOR Original PENSION.
Albert R. HOAAWARD Applicant, for Co. D 12th Reg't Mich Infty Vols. Enlisted
March 15, 1866 Discharged March 15, 1866
(Stamped) RECORD DIV. OCT 18 96 RECEIVED (and) US PENSION OFFICE OCT 3 1896
(and) LAW DIVISION B. OCT 5 1896 P. RECEIVED
----------
Document # 11:
GENERAL AFFIDAVIT.
State of Michigan, County of Eaton, ss: IN THE MATTER OF A R HOWARD CO 12st Reg Mich Vol Inf ON THIS 4th day of April A.D. 1899, personally appeared before me, a Notary Public in and for the aforesaid County, duly authorized to administer oaths Warren M DISHAW aged 41 years, a resident of Oneida
Township in the County of Eaton and State of Mich whose Post-office address is Grand Ledge Mich well known to me to be reputable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declares in relation to the aforesaid case as follows:
Have known the claimant A R HOWARD for the past Twenty Eight years or more from 1870 up to 1878 we work together the most of the time. He has Rhumatism the greater part of the time, and for three weeks at a time have known of his being confined to the bed and was helpless, could not not do for himself in any way. The Rhumatism was located in his arms shoulders and Back. Have seen him bind wheat when he had to drop on knees to reach bundle as He could not stope down. His back woad not let him. Mr HOWARD moved away from this part of the state in 1878. Have only seen him twice since that time, and He still complains of the Rhumatism this writen form and instruction given by Warren M DISHAW as I the Notary Public who executed this affidavit wrot it as given by him His Post-office address is Grand Ledge Mich He further declares that He has no interest in said case and is not concerned in its prosecution.
Warren M. DISHAW Signature of affiant
Charlie BIGELOW (signature)
Sarah P BIGELOW (signature)
If affiant sign by mark , two witnesses who can write sign here (Stamped) US
PENSION OFFICE K MAY 1 1899
(continued next page)
----------
DOCUMENT # 12:
(continued from previous page)
State of Michigan, County of Eaton, ss: Sworn to and subscribed before me this day by the above-named affiant, and I certify that I read said affidavit to said affiant, including the words____erased, and the words____added, and acquainted Him with the contents before He executed the same. I further certify that I am in nowise interested in said case, nor am I concerned in its prosecution; and that said affiant is personally known to me and that He is a credible person. Henry L. BIGELOW Official Signature Notary Public
Official character
[L.S.] I, Clerk of the County Court in and for aforesaid County and State, do certify that (blank), Esq., who has signed his name to the foregoing declaration and affidavit was at the time of so doing in and for said County and State, duly commissioned and sworn; that all of his facts are entitled to full faith and credit, and that his signature thereunto is genuine.
Witness my hand and seal of office, this ___ day of ____, 189_.
[L.S.] Clerk of the _______________
Note-To be executed before some officer authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. The official character and signature of any such officer not required by law to use a seal, must be certified by the clerk of the
proper court, giving dates of beginning and close of official term. If certificate on file, so state.
____________ Division.
Additional Evidence.
Cert No. 956,353
Warren M. BIGELOW
Name of Claimant
A R HOWARD
Name of Soldier
Co___, 12th Reg't Mich Vols.
Nature of Claim___blank___
FILED BY Edgar T. GADDIS Washington, D.C. (Stamped) RECORD DIVISION MAY 5

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PamVillafuert... 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
PamVillafuert... 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
NaidaCC 6 Dec 2001 3:05PM GMT 
PamVillafuert... 19 Dec 2001 7:31AM GMT 
sheryl8564 10 Aug 2003 1:38PM GMT 
pamvillafuert... 10 Aug 2003 4:44PM GMT 
Tina Scobey/Leach 19 Jan 2005 12:19PM GMT 
NaidaCC 21 Jan 2005 5:54PM GMT 
gailgiddings 27 Feb 2009 2:01AM GMT 
Dean Curtis 12 May 2006 2:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions