Update on Jos B Lathrop / Clarissa Lackey of Clinton County

Replies: 1

Update on Jos B Lathrop / Clarissa Lackey of Clinton County

Linda Lathrop (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2006 4:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jun 2012 8:00AM GMT
Surnames: Lathrop, Farrell
Through my own research, help from Clinton County Historical Society genealogists in MI, Barbara Lesser and my brothers, Richard and Thomas Farrell, we have updated information
on Joseph B Lathrop and Clarissa Lackey Lathrop.

I have found that Joseph B Lathrop was born in Lima, Livingston County, NY on April 17, 1822 and
died on April 16, 1901 in St. Johns, Clinton County, MI. Buried in Mt. Rest Cemetery.

Clarissa moved to St.Johns/Portland, OR to live with her daughter Rose after Joseph died.
Clarissa Lackey Lathrop died in 1912 in Portland, OR and is buried there in Columbian Cemetery.

Joseph B. Lathrop was married twice. His first wife was Mary Whipple (married 1852) who died, we believe, in childbirth of their second child in 1857. They were married near Lima, NY and Mary died in Flint, MI.
He and Mary had two sons, William B. and Prescott(akaPeter??).

Joseph B Lathrop moved with two sons to Bengal, Clinton County, MI where he very shortly (1858)married Clarissa Lackey, dau of Abram and Sophia Blanchard Lackey(both b. VT), at age 17.

Together Joseph B. and Clarissa A. Lathrop had 4 daughters.
Rose Lathrop Robison, married Elias W. Robison of Orange,MI and moved to St.Johns/Portland OR
Nellie Lathrop Ide Gammel, married twice, ____ Ide, and W. Henry Gammel of OR
Mary Lathrop Decker of NY
Minnie Lathrop, married twice ____Briggs, Lansing, MI and Chase Masters, Olympia, WA

I am trying to find out who Joseph B. Lathrop's father was so I can trace him through the Lathrop
family line to find the connection to our Lathrop lineage which is traced back to Joseph Lathrop,
son of Rev. John.

We have come across some census info (1850NY and 1860 MI) that Joseph's parents could be William J. and Susan Lathrop of Lima, NY and later Bengal, Clinton County, MI. Also have info that says Joseph had a sister, Cyrine/Serene, and a brother Jonathon.

I am stuck here. I can't find any info further back census-wise and also have checked all William Lathrops in the Huntington book.

The 1830 census shows three male Lathrops living in Lima, NY. They are:
Solomon, Philander and William J.

Does anyone have any info at all about Joseph B. Lathrop's parents or info that connect him to
William J/D Lathrop and Susan or Solomon or Philander or someone else.

Thank you. I also do have grandchildren info for Joseph and Clarissa if anyone is interested. Joseph was also a Civil War Veteran.

Linda M. Farrell Lathrop

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Linda Lathrop 3 Feb 2006 11:27AM GMT 
mathman_keith 3 Jun 2012 5:29AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions