Replies: 2

John Powers

David B. Daniels (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Powers, Sauter, Daniels
My Great Grandfathers Obit:

Obituary Information:
John Powers, pioneer resident of Escanaba (Michigan), died at the home of his daughter, Mrs James McCarthy, in Milwaukee (Wisconsin). He had been seriously ill for some time.

Mr. Powers was born at Mount Mellery, Bradford County, Ireland on June 24, 1844 and spent his early years at Waterford in the south of Ireland. He left Waterford on March 17, 1863 for Liverpool, England, and the next morning embarked for the United States on the sailing vessel Constitution. The voyage took 3 and a half weeks and he landed in New York on April 11. The cross country trip to Milwaukee took four or five days.

He visited with relatives in Milwaukee for a time and during the summer went to Chicago where he was employed by what is now the Chicago and North Western Railway. I was during that same year that he first came to Escanaba.

When Mr. Powers first came to Michigan he worked in the railroad company's freight office on the old Merchant Dock. This is before the railroad was completed between Escanaba and Negaunee and between Escanaba and Green Bay. He was working in the office when the first locomotive was unloaded from a scow at Escanaba. In 1872 he built a home on Ludington Street where the Kresge store is now. He was married to Ellen Coty, also an Irish immigrant on December 27, 1872 at Neenah, Wisconsin and they came to Escanaba on January 15, 1872 to make their home.

Since 1927 he had lived almost continuously in Milwaukee with his daughter (Mary McCarthy)

------------------------------------------------------------
John Powers & Ellen Coty's daughter Florence married Valentine Sauter who gave birth to my mother Arlene Daniels (1925) Please share any information you may have on the Powers or Sauter family's.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David B. Daniels 18 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Deb Zillges 28 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
David Daniels 1 Sep 2012 2:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions