Search for content in message boards

St. Jeans of the Garden Peninsula

Replies: 2

St. Jeans of the Garden Peninsula

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 12:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Apr 2012 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Coitou, St Jean, St John, Payette, Barbeau, Delongchamp, Mainville, Plante
I am trying find out more about the St. John's/St. Jean's that lived in the Garden peninsula in the late 1800s. The Garden area St. John's were originally from Ste-Julienne, Quebec and before that lived in St-Esprit.

I am trying to find out about learn more about my gg-grandfather John St. John and am trying to tie up some loose ends in my tree.

This is going to be difficult to explain, so here is what I know:

*The St Jean's went by the name Coitou dit St. Jean or simply Coitou when they lived in Canada.
*John married Alphonsine Payette in Ste-Julienne in 1868. In their marriage record John goes by the name Exias Coitou. I don't know why the change from Exias to John, but I am sure they are the same person.
*John and Alphonsine had the following children:
-----Georgiana (1871-1946) married Philip Plante
-----Alvina (1875 - 1894) married Joseph Mainville
-----James (1877- before 1880)
-----John (1888-? )
*A record from the Garden Historical society states John St. John died in Garden about 1891 from cancer of the face. He is said to be buried in the old Catholic cemetery south of Garden.
*John's parents were Francois Xavier Coitou and Francoise Delongchamp. John was born in St-Esprit, Quebec between 1838 and 1848.
*John had a nephew, Joseph St. John (b 1864 Ste-Julienne) who also settled in the Garden Peninsula. Joseph married Marceline Barbeau. Joseph was son to John's brother, Joseph.
*A document at the Garden Historical Museum says there was a record found in Fayette stating, "Elzier St. John died Aug 27, 1891 age 45 years...This man was certainly buried in the St. Peters cemetary, Fayette,MI"
I have found the baptism record for Elzier showing him to be son of Francois Xavier Coitou and Francoise Delongchamp.
* Other baptism records I found showing Francois Xavier Coitou and Francoise Delongchamp as parents are:
-----Joseph (27 Mar 1836-
-----Elie (25 Feb 1838 - Male
-----Emile (27 Oct 1839- Male
-----Flore (1 Oct 1841 - Female
-----Elzear (30 Mar 1844-
-----Victorine (19 Mar 1846 -
-----Marci Rose Delima (26 Mar 1848-
-----Marie Scholastique (10 Mar 1850 -
-----Zotique (15 Nov 1852 - Male
*No baptism records were found for a John/Jean or Exias.

Confused yet?

What I would like to know is if John was actually Elzear or perhaps one of the other Coitou's such as Emile or Elie?

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who knows anything about the St. Johns.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mainvilles 13 Apr 2012 6:15PM GMT 
thomasker2 13 Apr 2012 9:30PM GMT 
mainvilles 14 Apr 2012 1:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic