Lauren V. WHITE

Replies: 17

Re: Lauren V. WHITE

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 10:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: White, Hayward, ORourke
Dear Lynnetteteller,

The info about Lauren V. White seemed quite interesting and since my Grandfather was treasure briefly 1925-1926 of the L. V. White company and was the second cousin of Lauren's first wife Nina, I had a interest in getting more info on this tragic event.

I went to the Kalamazoo public library where they had the Kalamazoo Gazette on micro film. There was also an indexed entry for a headline "Station attendant finds Oil Company's Executive lying on floor near unopened Steal Vault" It was indexed to 10/11/1931. This sounded like an article which might shed more light on the subject. Unfortunately I could not find it so I asked for help. I was told that sometimes these were misfiled. The assistant went to get help and I looked forward to 10/12/1931.

Front page top headline in at least 1" type was "Probe Fatal Shooting of L. V. White" with picture of L. V White. There are two articles on this topic. I had some challenges with the scanner printer but would be glad to communicate with you on the articles. See my website on my profile for contact info. (if you don't want to contact me by e-mail post a reply and I can put this up on the web somewhere).

Here are some of information about this case:

1) Sunday 10/11/1931 Margaret and the three month old son stopped at a station adjoining the offices on East Michigan Ave between 5pm and 6pm for gas and oil. He entered the offices at that time.
2) The Whites then went on a ride and returned to the offices between 6:20 and 6:40. He went into the office for some unspecified amount of time.
3) He returned to the car and indicated he had left his glasses in the office.
4) Shortly after he returned to the office two gunshots were heard by Margaret.
5) She ran over to the gas station and contacted an attendant A C O'Rourke who ran over to the offices tried the front door and found it locked then went to the back door which he found "Jimmied" and used a flashlight to discover a wounded L. V. White on the floor in front of the vault and a revolver on the floor. His glasses were under his body.
6) He called police and the police ambulance took him to Bronson Hospital but died before medical assistance could be given.
7) Margaret reported that he said "A short man" before he was taken away.
8) There was a fatal shot to his right chest with bullet lodged near the skin on the left side of his back and a second shot which went through his left coat sleeve.
9) Powder burns on his outer garment indicated shot at close range.
10) There was no evidence of struggle.
11) Burglar tools scattered around room.
12) He had been in poor health several months but had been improving the last few weeks.
13) He had retired from Dixie Oil the year before (still was president of L.V. White company)
14) In 1930 there were 2,000 stations associated with Dixie Oil with sales of 100 million gallons.

So the family story about glasses seems to be verified - he was shot in the offices but the station connection was that the station was very close to the offices and the station attendant was the one who assisted Margaret and discovered the dying Lauren. I don't believe this was ever solved. It seems that my interpretation of the repeated stab wounds in the ledger was wrong. One could interpret it to be "revolver shot wound to the ???".
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ArdisJean 7 Jan 2008 2:01PM GMT 
lynnettetelle... 15 Mar 2009 3:42AM GMT 
lynnettetelle... 15 Mar 2009 3:46AM GMT 
BRAMBLE62 27 May 2010 12:56AM GMT 
lynnettetelle... 18 Dec 2012 2:36AM GMT 
JohnHayward38 8 Oct 2012 8:27PM GMT 
lynnettetelle... 18 Dec 2012 2:34AM GMT 
JohnHayward38 18 Dec 2012 5:27PM GMT 
JohnHayward38 29 Dec 2012 5:29AM GMT 
graceisathome 14 May 2013 5:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions