Search for content in message boards

Lapeer STate Home and Training School

Replies: 20

Re: Lapeer State Home and Training School

Posted: 23 May 2003 3:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Mar 2005 1:07PM GMT
The home was located on the corner of Davison (M-21) and the now DeMille Blvd. (Millville Rd). It may have taken up as much as 160 acres. It had it's own farm.

Besides the names already given, it was also known as Oakdale Center, which was it's last given name. It closed in the late 1980's, early 1990's I believe and was completely demolished in the late 1990's. I don't have an exact date, but when I do come across it I will pass that info on. A lot of history about the home was given in the newspaper when it was torn down. Also, the anniversary issue of the Lapeer County Press, possibly Aug 1931, had information on the home and I believe his name was Doctor Kay that was in charge. (All of this coming off the top of my head.)

The home employed many, many people in the Lapeer County area and at one time was Lapeer County's largest employer (competing with the Big 3). Multiple generations in families were employed there. I had a sister, father, uncle, aunts, step-grandfather and many cousins that worked there.

Oakdale (as I knew it growing up) served many purposes. It was a home for the handicapped, mentally and physically. It was a place to go for treatment of tuberculosis. For a short time it acted as the Poor House and many orphans went here, some never left until adults. Unfortunately with the nature of the home many records are sealed, and worse yet some are lost forever. (See my post titled Horror Story.) The headstones in the cemetery in the back of the property have mostly numbers and very few names. A list of these names are available from the Lapeer Genealogical Society.

I hope this helps. Many people that know tid-bits about the home can be found as easy as walking down the street. The older the better of course. My generation (25-35) knows just a little, mostly only about where it was, what it was and maybe they even walked through the abandoned buildings and tunnels at one time. Anyone younger won't have any idea about Oakdale. I guess that's why they call it history.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DeniseSlatter... 19 Mar 2003 6:39PM GMT 
lc 24 Mar 2003 12:07AM GMT 
DeniseSlatter... 24 Mar 2003 1:31PM GMT 
hjacot1 23 May 2003 9:22PM GMT 
S_Kehren 19 Jul 2003 9:09PM GMT 
@@DawnDee2001... 20 Jul 2003 6:06PM GMT 
S_Kehren 20 Jul 2003 6:53PM GMT 
beverlyblasin... 29 Apr 2010 5:21PM GMT 
sbaarck51 2 Sep 2012 2:47PM GMT 
hjacot1 21 Jul 2003 3:40AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions