Search for content in message boards

Sha-sko-ge-shick Indian Camp Meeting 1905

Replies: 2

Sha-sko-ge-shick / Greensky

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 12:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2012 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Greensky, Jones
I don't know who this "Peter Jones" the half-breed might be. I haven't found histories which elaborate on him. Peter Greensky was a native preacher thoroughly documented ever since about 1850.
I wonder if "Peter Jones" and "Peter Greensky" are the same person, no evidence one way or the other.
Rev. Greensky had children and the family name continues to the present. Sha-sko-ge-shick in Odawa literally means "Blue or Green Sky" Odawa & Ojibwe languages do not distinguish between the colors blue or green. See the Ojibwe People's Dictionary: http://ojibwe.lib.umn.edu/ for details. Peter Greensky was without doubt bilingual. He found both the Northport Indian camp meeting and the Greensky Hill UMC between Charlevoix and Petoskey Michigan. Why he chose "Greensky" as a translation of his family name is mysterious, since "Blue Sky" would have been as accurate a translation. In the early 20th century, the Northport Indian Camp Meeting was called the "Greensky Indian Meeting" in addition to being called "Sha-sko-ge-shick". Elders born after about 1920 may not know this.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ADembinski 12 Nov 2011 12:41AM GMT 
ADembinski 6 Apr 2012 6:49PM GMT 
ADembinski 6 Apr 2012 6:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic