Thayer

Replies: 3

Re: Thayer

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2013 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: Thayer, Hetfield, Riggs, Van Leeuwen, Garlick, Jones
Anne and Theresa,

I think we have communicated over the years. I suspect Oscar Fernando Thayer was named after his grandfather Ferdinand Oscar Hetfield, who went by Oscar. Do either of you have an obituary for George Washington Thayer?

George and Ellen also had a son named David Reuben Thayer, who finally ended up in California after some time in Minnesota.

I was tracking Ellen over the last few weeks. Her brother's obituary mentioned she was Mrs. G. Riggs, and I suspect her third and last husband was George A. "Slip" Riggs, the marine reporter in Detroit who died at the young age of 32. I was very surprised to find a marriage in-between to John Van Leeuwen. I'm not sure when, but Ellen started going by Helen, and on her death certificate someone has scratched out Helen and wrote in Ellen. On seekingmichigan.org, it has been transcribed as Hillcar Riggs. Finding her 1920 obituary in the Kalamazoo Gazette, I was surprised to find out her nephew, Louis B. Garlick, also lived in Kalamazoo.

Turning my attention to Louis, I discovered his middle name was Badeau and that he was the oldest son of Ellen's sister, Lucetta Hetfield. Lucetta seems to have married William H. Garlick and died sometime after the birth of her daughter Mary in 1872 and William's 1877 marriage to another relative of mine, Jennifer J. Jones. For two decades I have been trying to figure out what happened to Lucetta, so it was exciting to finally learn more.

If you send me your emails, I'll be happy to invite you to see my tree on Ancestry. I'm philiptobias@yahoo.com

Good Hunting!

Phil
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AnneGervais55 22 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Theresa Johnson 23 Jan 2003 1:32AM GMT 
Phil Tobias 18 Jan 2013 9:13PM GMT 
dianekmills1 24 Jun 2013 2:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions