Search for content in message boards

Alice E. Short and her husband Colby Short of Armada

Replies: 3

Alice E. Short and her husband Colby Short of Armada

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 1:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Oct 2012 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: SHORT, FOX, HART, SUMNER, Letherby, Pratt, Knickerbocker
I'm working on the puzzle of Alice E. Short nee Fox. Alice was born about 1851 in Westminster Township, Middlesex County, Ontario, near London, to Allen Fox and Jane Hart. Jane was a widow when she came to Armada in the 1870's to join the various Harts, Pratts and Sumners who were all related and had settled in Armada from the 1840's on.

Jane had 6 children who also settled in Armada. Daughter Alice E. married Colby Short 09 Nov 1884 in Berlin Township, St. Clair County, Michigan.

Colby Short was born in New York State in 1838. During the Civil War he served in Co. L, 1st Michigan Cavalry. He was enumerated in Armada in both 1870 and 1880. In 1880 his occupation was mowing machine agent. Colby and Alice were living in Osceola County, Florida, in 1910. I can't locate them in 1900. But they returned to Armada where Colby died 10 Jan. 1916 and is buried in Willow Grove Cemetery. He has both a Civil War monument and standard monument. However, it doesn't appear that Alice is buried with him. I checked the Willow Grove burial records and she is not listed, although the grave next to Colby is apparently empty.

Many of Alice's siblings left Armada and settled in Kalkaska County. Her sister Eliza Letherby died in Kalkaska 29 May 1926, and this date is verified by her burial records in Clearwater Cemetery, Kalkaska. Various family tree entries also give this date of death for Alice. Could it be a coincidence that two sisters died on the same day?

I last find Alice, a widow, living with her cousin Elizabeth Knickerbocker in Armada in 1920. She does not appear in the Macomb Obit. Index.

Any ideas?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Suzanne Frant... 24 Oct 2012 7:41PM GMT 
AFAULKNER 24 Oct 2012 8:42PM GMT 
Suzanne Frant... 25 Oct 2012 1:27AM GMT 
thomasker2 25 Oct 2012 4:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions