Search for content in message boards

Dempsey's - Unions - St. Petri's

Replies: 2

Dempsey's - Unions - St. Petri's

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sitzler, Dempsey
Does anyone have any information on a business called Dempsey's Papersmith? Or maybe something close to that?

I have been given a copy of a church write up for my ancestor, which isn't very legible, and I'm trying to piece it together. It looks as though he was excommunicated from the parish for doing something while he was working for Dempsey's Papersmith. I can't seem to find anything on a place called Dempsey's in Manistee. The incident happened on July 24, 1901 and the parish minister was Otto Sitzler.

I've researched Otto Sitzler and it appears he ran a Lutheran church (St. Petri's) who had split from the main Lutheran church in Manistee (St. Paul's) in 1898. The reason for the split was a disagreement about memberships to secret societies among the congregation members.

Historically speaking, I know that the Labor Unions really started up in Manistee around this time as well, so I'm wondering if the church viewed membership into the Labor Union as a secret society.

Matthew 18: 15-17 is what was quoted on this report as well.

"15 If your brother or sister[a] sins,[b] go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[c] 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

Does anyone have any insight or information that might help me with this search? I would be forever grateful!!!

Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
christentarra... 28 Feb 2013 10:07PM GMT 
bachsus 2 Mar 2013 8:36PM GMT 
christentarra... 4 Mar 2013 8:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions