Search for content in message boards

Birth and Marriage Record

Replies: 3

Birth and Marriage Record

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neven, Navion, Nouvion, Coallier, Coulier, Quillia, Quolier
This request requires assistance from a local Menominee person.
I have an SSDI record:
>> Name:Royden Edward Kostka
>> Birth Date:23 Dec 1901
>> Birth Place:Plainfield, Waushara, Wisconsin
>> Gender: Male
>> Race:White
>> Father's Name:Edward Kostka
>> Father's Birth Place:Kewannee, Wisconsin
>> Mother's name:Josephine Neven
>> Mother's Birth Place:Menominee, Michigan
>> FHL Film Number: 1305606

I am specifically looking for birth, baptism, marriage and/or divorce information on Royden Edward Kostka's mother, Josephine Neven. The name "Neven" has been spelled Navion, Novion, Nouvion and since it is also a Canadian French dit name, she may have been born and/or baptized under the name Coallier, Coulier, Collier or even Quillia, Quolier. I am tryint to find records of the names of Josephine's parents.

The (Ottawa) 1911 Canadian Census states Josephine Navion was born in Feb 1878; her father Alfred was born in May 1859. It states he was born in the US, though I'm wondering if perhaps he was born in Quebec. The 1911 Canadian census also stated that Josephine, her father and her children were Baptists. One of her chidren was a son named Royden.

I'm trying to find out if the Josephine Navion listed on the 1911 Canadian Census who is living with her father Alfred is the same Josephine Neven born in Menominee, Michigan. The birth month for Royden on the 1911 Canadian census is the same month as Royden Kostka. On the 1911 Census, the children's surname was not given. It was highly unlikely that the children took the mother's maiden name for their surname.

How can I get birth information in Menominee for the year of Josephine's birth (1878)? Perhaps Alfred Navion (Neven or Nouvion) born May 1859 was born in Menominee, too. Do birth records go back that far (1859)? Another interesting twist is that most of the people from Quebec in the Coallier dit Novion extended family were Catholic, yet Josephine was listed as a Baptist in 1911. Is there a way to research Baptist records from 1878 to about 1911 for membership, baptism, marriage, divorce or funeral records? Where would the Baptist record archives for Menominee be located now? She moved back to Canada prior to 1911, perhaps her husband died or they divorced. How can I find records of that? Where should I start? For Catholics in Quebec, the church kept excellent records, so I've been lucky so far, but when researching other Baptists in the US, I've not been so lucky. Also, where can I find governmental records for that time period, in the county, the state or do they even exist?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pqrstny 19 Jul 2012 1:23AM GMT 
thomasker2 2 Aug 2012 6:52PM GMT 
pqrstny 2 Aug 2012 7:00PM GMT 
thomasker2 24 Jan 2013 4:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions