Indian cemetaries in Oceana County Michigan

Replies: 2

Re: Indian cemetaries in Oceana County Michigan

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 3:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2010 8:41AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, To-gah, Keokishcum
Jennifer,

Thank you for responding you were great help.

A.C.Shaw and F.M. Shaw are siblings I assume. I do know they are at least cousins - their uncle was Nas-wau-gee the great orator of many treaties in the 1800's in Indiana and Michigan.

A.C. Shaw's indian name is M'Jo quiss a male potawatomi (but he shows up in Ottawa country) and F.M. Shaw is To-gah a female potawatomi. I assume they were siblings but no primary confirmation on that yet. M'Joquiss and Togah received their Christian names from the Nottawa Methodist Indian mission. This mission named several indians "Shaw" after one of the founding missionaries.(1853)

I know that A.C. Shaw married a woman named Martha. I believe this Martha was a female that shows up on the 1870 Wayland, Alleghen county, Michigan census under the household of Rev Keokishcum. (Keokishcum is a potawatomi Methodist preacher and Martha is I believe his daughter.)
To-gah was also on the 1870 census for the same county and same household but as a housekeeper. So I am not sure if she is Rev Keokishcum's girlfriend, wife or just truly a housekeeper. I never see Togah after this 1870 census anywhere so I assume she dies before the next census in 1880.

I will research all the leads you listed in your email concerning the indian cemetaries and also the Oceana Historical Society.

I live in Oklahoma and any help I can receive in these areas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and God bless you.

Michale
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
angelgurlxx20... 14 Jan 2010 8:13AM GMT 
jfaysa 15 Jan 2010 2:00AM GMT 
angelgurlxx20... 25 Jan 2010 10:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions