Search for content in message boards

FORD AUTO WORKERS SENT TO RUSSIA 1932

Replies: 7

Re: FORD AUTO WORKERS SENT TO RUSSIA 1932

Bob Sparks (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2006 8:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks Mary for the reply, but am unsure whether any of them returned, my Dad used to tell me about this, here is a book written by the son of this lady whose father a ford worker was sent to the Gulag with many others:
In the mid-eighties, I took the Trans-Siberian Express round-trip across the Ukraine, Russia, and Siberia. I fell in love with this weary, but beautiful land and people, and in the years since I've continued to follow their struggles in the news.

"Dancing Under the Red Star" reveals a relatively unknown portion of modern history, following one woman's arrest and imprisonment in Stalin's prison camps. The astonishing thing is that she was an American, one of a number of families that went to Gorky to work for the Ford Motor Company. Her family goes through years of trouble and harrassment, and Maggie's stamina in the face of these events is admirable. With a competitive sports background, she turns into a tough cookie in the prison system, surviving on determination, sly wisdom, and a growing faith.

Penned by her son, yet revealed through her eyes, "Dancing Under the Red Star" never tries to be a literary masterpiece; instead, it's an endearing and inspiring tale of endurance, love, and raw perseverance. One particular scene, in a Siberian outhouse of all places, moved me unexpectedly. Other scenes still play through my thoughts. If you like biographical stories of true-life survival, if you like tidbits of little-known history, if you enjoy reading of times and places that make you once again thankful for the country in which we live, than this is one book you won't want to miss.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bob Sparks 24 Nov 2006 3:48PM GMT 
grdma 25 Nov 2006 1:26AM GMT 
grdma 25 Nov 2006 1:28AM GMT 
Bob Sparks 25 Nov 2006 3:32PM GMT 
acameron59 6 Nov 2009 1:50PM GMT 
madeline_jm_w... 8 Feb 2013 9:16PM GMT 
Georgia1910 7 Nov 2009 12:16AM GMT 
1_bas59 18 Sep 2012 8:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic