Search for content in message boards

Original Frankfort Gateway Arch

Replies: 0

Original Frankfort Gateway Arch

Posted: 16 Mar 2014 9:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information on the original cobblestone gateway arch. Per an article from the 7/27/1983 Benzie newspaper, it was the idea of Joe Winkler, Proprietor of Yeazel Hotel. It was located at the corner of main and 7th Street and had 18 foot high cobblestone pillars resembling lighthouses, topped with lanterns. It cost $1000 raised by contributions and popular subscriptions. It was made from stones collected from the beach, with advised average size of 6 inches, the more highly colored desired. The newspaper reportedly kept the public informed each week of the progress. The pillars were reportedly completed in September 1925 and the miniature ship arrived in November 1925.

Newspapers from 1925 are scarce, so I am not able to read of the progress. My question is this: If it was the idea of Joe Winkler, who I gather was rather well to do and spent much time in Chicago, I am going to assume he did not do the actual construction. Does anyone know WHO actually built the cobblestone pillars?

Find a board about a specific topic