William Truman Stone, a son of Childs Stone & Lucy E. Bradley, was born 3 Jan. 1855 in Livingston Co. NY. The family moved near Fox Lake WI by 1858. Their three children were born 1850-1857 in NY, per Bible entry: Althea B. Stone b. 30 Apr 1850, T. Willie Stone b. 3 Jan 1855, Lewis Holloway Stone b. 6 Nov 1857.
William Truman Stone attended Wayland Academy in Beaver Dam WI, the University of WI, and graduated from the Hahnemann Medical School in Chicago in 1882. He took postgraduate courses is several other schools, and practiced medicine in St Cloud MN 1882-1896.
He moved to Park Rapids MN in 1898 and opened a hospital in Germania Hall the following year. In 1903 he built the Park Sanitarium, a large wooden structure which burned within a year. It was the first hospital in Park Rapids. The Sanitarium was rebuilt in brick in 1905, but was never financially sustainable. In the 1930's he served as village health officer, and was often seen visiting the sick on his bicycle.
Dr. Stone also opened a summer resort on the SE shore of Fish Hook Lake. Leter the land was bought by the Methodist Church and renamed the Northern Pine Assembly Grounds.
Dr. Stone taught a large class of adults in the Baptist Sunday School. He read widely and could discourse brilliantly on the Bible, which he studdied thoroughly, and on a wide range of intellectual and social topics.
In politics he championed the local option fights which preceeded prohibition, and always championed the under dog. He was first elected to the Minnesotat legislature in 1910, where he served with the father of Charles Lindburgh. He helped to push through several reform measures during his two terms in office. After leaving the legislature he bought extensive acerage in Badoura township to put into practice some of his aggricultural theories.
Dr. Stone m. Martha Mann on 28 Jun 1883 in St. Cloud MN. Martha Mann Stone d. 23 Jan 1917 in Park Rapids. They had two sons: Allen Warner Stone and Herbert Bradley Stone. Dr. Stone remarried Alta Ness, of Murdoc MN. Dr Stone died 26 December 1938 in Park Rapids. His obituary stated that his "rough exterior hid a kindly heart, and Park Rapids is a better community because Doctor Stone paused here on his earthly journey."