I, too have connections to Wegners in Martin County, MN.
I've pieced together the following information based on census records and a book published by Norma Gottschalk ("The Garbisch Garden"):
Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner (b: 27 JUL 1841 in Germany) marries Johanna Eidis (Hanna) Garbisch (b: 23 APR 1846 in Jackson, WI) on 20 JUN 1866 in Wisconsin. Johanna's father, Georg Garbisch lived with the family in the Town of Scott, Sheboygan County, WI until he died in 1883.
Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner and Johanna have seven children (Eduard 1867, Henry 1869, Clara 1871, Ranetta 1872, Paul 1873?, Otto 1873?, and Gustav 1875). I believe at least Henry and Ranetta (probably the otehrs as well) were born in the Town of Scott, Sheboygan County, WI.
Eduard was married in the Town of Scott in 1889 and his first 5 children were born in Martin County, MN. Henry and Clara married their spouses in Martin Couny, MN (bothin 1891).
Eduard, Henry, and Paul (and perhaps other siblings as well) had children who were born in Fairmont. Clara is buried in Maple, MN. Rannetta married Herman Hinz, had about 12 children, died in 1944 and is buried in Lakeside Cemetery, Fairmont, MN.
This seems to indicate the whole family left for Martin County sometime after George Garbisch died (1883-1889). But when and why? (Perhaps to meet up with Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner's family? If so who and what relation?)
Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner died in Martin County, MN in 1929, his wife Johanna died 17 JUN 1926.
It seems that this area was very important to the Wegner family. (Interestingly enough, my part of the relations [Eduard] came back to Sheboygan County with his family around 1900 - but why? Perhaps to be with his wife's [Sophia Auguste Johanna Klug]relation?)
Specifically, I'm looking for...
- the burial location for Wilhelm Frederick August and Johanna Wegner.
- connections between this Wegner family and other Wegner families in Martin County, MN. (Perhaps Fredrich Wegner and my Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner are related? Brothers?)
- verification of the parents for Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner. Currently, Norma's reseach indicates his parents as Michael Wegner and Louise Marten. However, I have no validation of this from other sources.
- where did Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner come from in Germany? The 1880 census in Sheboygan County (WIlliam Wagner) lists his birthplace as Hannover. Norma's research lists it as Harmsdorf.
- any other fun information! Wilhelm Frederick August Wegner is my 3g grand father and it would be fantastic to know more about his roots!