Search for content in message boards

Holmberg/Mattson family in Crookston 1887-1891?

Replies: 12

Holmberg/Mattson family in Crookston 1887-1891?

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holmberg, Mattson
Hello,

I am looking for evidence to corroborate that my family was in Crookston, MN in the timeframe of 1887-1891 to add information to a confusing genealogy situation. I believe one child was born there on Feb 6, 1889, named Oscar William Holmberg (last name may also have been Mattson). However, there are no recorded Polk County recorded births which reflect this. Other family members would have been: Father: Erick Mattson (age 30 in 1889), Mother: Anna Mathilda Holmberg (age 26 in 1889), siblings: Charles age 6 & Emily age 4. Looking for any newspaper birth announcement, church record, city directory, or other local records which may corroborate them having been there or give a listing of Oscar’s parents’ names.

Further Background if needed:

My puzzle is in reference to my great great grandfather Erick Mattson who was born 1859 in Sweden. He married Anna Mathilda Holmberg (born 1863) in 1882 in Sweden & had 2 children born there (Charles 1883 & Emily 1885). I am able to find his ship passenger records from 1887 (both on Sweden side & NY side) as well as his listing in the Emigraten which is a Swedish record of persons leaving the country. He listed his destination as St Paul, MN. This is the last definitive record I have of him.

My great great grandmother Anna Mathilda Holmberg came to the USA a year later in April 1888 with the 2 children in addition to 2 of her brothers and their families. Also destination St Paul, MN.

The next child born was Oscar William Holmberg on Feb 6, 1889. The place of his birth listed on his WW1 Draft registration card is clearly Crookston, Minnesota. His place of birth on the 1900 & 1910 federal census listings is “Minnesota” & same on his death record from 1918. The singular mention of Crookston is the only reference I have that the family was there (though these other sources corroborate them being in Minnesota).

The next child was born in Negaunee, Michigan March 15, 1891, Gus Holmberg (my great grandfather) & another (Edyth) in 1893. So as of 1891 the family was in Negaunee, Michigan. Anna Mathilda Holmberg & her children lived there for the next several decades. What is odd on the birth records of these children is that the father’s name is listed as Holmberg (still first name Erick). There is no other evidence to support that Anna Mathilda was with a new person named Erick Holmberg (as opposed to Erick Mattson).

From what I know from stories passed down is that Eric & Anna Mathilda separated at some point after coming to the USA. I do not think they were ever legally divorced. The 5 children stayed with Anna Mathilda in Negaunee & all went by the last name Holmberg.

Interestingly I am able to find a birth recorded in Michigan which may be the “record” of Oscar’s birth. Birth date is Feb 6, 1889, place is Ishpeming City (Michigan), and birthplace of parents is Sweden. Parents are listed as “Edw’d & Anna Holmberg”. Date this was recorded was June 1890. I do think this is the “record” of his birth. However, Oscar gave his birth place as Crookston MN on his WW1 draft card, and his mother Anna Mathilda gave his birth place as Minnesota on his death record in 1918.

I’ve never been able to figure out what became of Erick Mattson beyond his immigration to the USA & probably being the father of the 3 children born in Minnesota/Michigan (last in 1893). By the 1900 federal census he is not living with the family. I’ve had no luck in tracking him down, though I am somewhat hampered by his relatively common name & that he was no longer living with family members which would help me confirm his identity.

Finding any record of the family in Crookston may confirm that the family was actually there, help me track them on their travels after leaving Sweden, & shed light on the paternity of the youngest 3 children (or at least Oscar).
Any input appreciated.

Jeremy Adam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
heritageadam 14 Jan 2012 4:47AM GMT 
leslielacount 24 Feb 2012 9:53PM GMT 
leslielacount 24 Feb 2012 10:14PM GMT 
heritageadam 25 Feb 2012 2:53AM GMT 
leslielacount 26 Feb 2012 4:05PM GMT 
heritageadam 29 Feb 2012 3:03AM GMT 
JReckinger 29 Feb 2012 3:03PM GMT 
heritageadam 4 Apr 2012 4:43AM GMT 
leslielacount 4 Apr 2012 9:54AM GMT