Search for content in message boards

What county is Hibbing in?

Replies: 8

Re: What county is Hibbing in?

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 10:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chempion
Hi Mary,
My grandfather was born in Ely, Minn. and my great-grandfather died in the Hibbing iron mine in 1913. I found out that those were in St. Louis County and since then have searched rootsweb and think I found my grandfather's birth record and my great-grandfather's death record. Now I just have to find out how I can send for these records to have copies of them. I am looking for the Champion family. My grandfather's name was William Henry Champion born in Ely , Minn. in 1897. Although the record says that he was born on December 31, 1897, his actual birthdate was December 29, 1897. My great-grandfather was killed in a mining accident in the Hibbing mine. His name was Thomas Champion. According to the death records of St. Louis County, there were 2 Thomas Champions that died about a year apart. One in 1912 in Ely, and the other in 1913 in Hibbing. Upon finding this out, I found someone that would do mining accident lookups and she emailed me and said that it was the one in 1913 in Hibbing. She gave me the mine name too. I wasn't sure if Hibbing and Ely are next to each other or not so that is why I chose to find out which one was my great-grandfather. I assumed that only one had died in a mining accident. Now I am searching for my great-grandmother's death record. The information that I have says she died in 1926 but I don't know where. Her name was Elizabeth (Rodgers) Champion. My mother tells me that she was living with one of her sons and a daugher-in-law at the time of her death but I don't know if it was in Hibbing or not. Is there some way I could find out if she got some sort of pension from the mining company from her husband's accident? I don't know where to look. I am located in Michigan and haven't been to that area since I was 6 years old. That happens to be about 39 years ago. I don't know if there are more than one mines in that area or not. I sure would appreciate any help that you might offer on any lookups in that area.

Thank you very much,
Cheryl Butts
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CherylButts 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
AKramarScott 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
CherylButts 1 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
marill1939 12 Feb 2003 6:34AM GMT 
MaryP1822 28 Jun 2001 4:04AM GMT 
CherylButts 29 Jun 2001 4:24AM GMT 
shepard999 18 Dec 2012 1:04AM GMT 
Patricia LeBeau 14 Jul 2001 2:27PM GMT 
Cheryl Butts 15 Jul 2001 11:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions