Search for content in message boards

Elshaug Family

Replies: 10

Re: Elshaug Family

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 7:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been doing online Norwegian research since 1997, first for my husband's family, then my own, and then helping others using what I've learned.

I see that the Rindal Bygdeboks, the farm and family history books for the parish of Rindal, which is organized by farm, and then lists the families who lived on those farms, usually back to 1600's in most bygdeboks - those books are online digitally BUT only for people who have a computer IP address which originates in Norway. (that's what the directions say in Norwegian) so I wasn't able to open it.

Here is the link anyway, in case a Norwegian answers your query at Møre og Romsdal message board here on Ancestry.com, you can ask them to look.
http://slekt1.com/nb/digitale-bygdeboker?catid=7652

I'm not sure which volume Elshaug farm is in, but the last volume is a farm and name register (index) for all of the first 4 volumes.

In a previous post, I gave you the names and call numbers of all of the books, so maybe you can go to your local library and see if any of them would be available in an interlibrary loan. University of North Dakota in Grand Forks has the books, but maybe only for use at their facility. Other bygdebok collections might exist - I know University of Minnesota in Minneapolis has a collection, and St. Olaf College in southern Minnesota, and U of Wisconsin.

The best thing to do is find a Norwegian with the books.

I did find online that Volume 2 is the one you would need to start with, at Elshaug.
Book title:
Rindal gards- og ættesoge, bind 2
© Nasjonalbiblioteket.
utgitt 1999. (published 1999)
(Gårds- og slektshistorie for Rindal, Rindalsholt, Landsem, Elshaug, Grønli, Fosseide, Nedre Øyen, Holte, Stor-Tiset, Furuhaug, Lille-Tiset, Bakken, Negård, Litjåsen)
(farm and family history for the above listed farms, including Elshaug.) Remember the Elshaug farm number, from my earlier post.

I see you haven't posted a query yet at the Møre og Romsdal Message board. If you do, title it something like:

Elshaug farm at Rindal

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.scan-balt.norway.count...

I did find this name and email of an Olav in Norway who offered to help someone else who was looking for the bygdebok for Rindal. It could be old now though.
osjomaling@c2i.net

There also was a lookups volunteer Connie Jaynes, cjaynes@ipns.com who posted online that she had the 4 volumes, and was willing to do lookups. You need volume 2 for Elshaug, to start.

There is also a very Norwegian sounding Arnfinn who has the books for Rindal and is a lookups volunteer:
aljokjel@online.no

It seems that Arnfinn has the volumes from the 1960's publication. They republished the books, adding updates in 1999, so that book would be the easiest one to use to determine which of your relatives are still living in the area today. That is possible, to find living relatives, some are often still on the farm, or on a neighboring farm. Then it's easy to find Norwegians in their online telephone directory and get addresses, etc. There is even an website called birthday.no which you can look them up by name, and match the birthday given in the Bygdebok and be sure you have the right person.

Good luck - Taryn from Minnesota

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
homespenders 12 Feb 2013 5:00AM GMT 
TarynMN 13 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT 
TarynMN 13 Feb 2013 12:21AM GMT 
homespenders 13 Feb 2013 12:47AM GMT 
TarynMN 13 Feb 2013 3:16AM GMT 
TarynMN 13 Feb 2013 3:22AM GMT 
homespenders 13 Feb 2013 4:25AM GMT 
TarynMN 13 Feb 2013 2:45PM GMT 
JanDarbhamull... 29 Apr 2013 6:25PM GMT 
CTweeton 30 Apr 2013 1:51AM GMT