Search for content in message boards

ANY INFORMATION

Replies: 10

Re: ANY INFORMATION - Bain Minnesota

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Straight, Long/ Longe, Thompson, Martin
Hi Ruth~ I saw some of Helen's posts & knew right away that we are related so wanted to contact her, then found this message you wrote- was so sad to hear of her passing & hope you will see my reply here & contact me. You may email me at pnlritty@yahoo.com if you wish. I have family history going back several generations & would love to exchange info with you. Lewis Amos Straight was a brother to my great-grandpa Harvey Straight & their father was Henry David Straight. I am aware that at least one genealogist insists his middle name was "Davis" but no one in my family agrees, & if Helen had an old letter where he was called "David" then that would be great info for our proof. I believe he had a cousin "Henry Davis" which gets confusing. He was born in 1850 in NY & d. Oct 1918. He was a drummer boy in the Civil War. He & Harvey & I think also Lewis are buried near Wyeville, WI, close to where my folks live at Oakdale, WI. The cemetery is between Wyeville & Tomah. My dad (Philip Jones) gave me info going back to Henry Straight b.1652 RI d. 04 JUN 1728. His first wife was Hannah, m. 1676, then after she died, he married Mary Long around 1685 & we're descended from her. According to info I found online, Mary's father was Joseph Long & this line apparently goes back to a Gyles Longe, Sr, an innholder in London & that his will from 1607 names several family members. Lewis & Harvey's mother was Francis Jane Thompson b. 1858 in OH d. SEP 1929/30. I believe she is buried at Wyville also. Her mother was Martha (Martin) Thompson & father was Joseph Austin Thompson. He went by his middle name "Austin" & in fact "Joseph" is not even on his tombstone. He's buried in Oakdale, WI, cemetery. I have a book on history of Oakdale which states he was in many Civil War battles with Co B, 12th Regt WI Vol Infantry. He fought in MS (incl. Siege of Vicksburg), GA (incl. Sherman's March to the Sea), Campaign of the Carolinas - SC & NC, surrender of Johnson at Raleigh, NC, & Grand Review in Washington D.C. - apparently he made it thru without being wounded (service 28 OCT 1861 - 16 JUL 1865). This book states he was b. 3 FEB 1828 in NY to Garvis (think they meant Jarvis) & Frances Thompson, but there is a mystery that I'm hoping might be answered somewhere in Helen's info - the family story is that he was born in Austin, NY, & was adopted. We have been unable to find any info on any adoption or any other family names, etc, attached to him, although I believe we learned about the adoption from the will of two aunts of his wife, Martha Martin. I don't know if one of his birth parents was a Thompson or Martin, but I suspect there may be Native American blood somewhere, as we have photos of some of the family & Austin's daughter Francis looks like she could have Indian blood while her mother Martha doesn't seem to. We have no photo of Austin. Francis Thompson & Henry David Straight had more children: Ruby May, Richard Oliver (Unlce Dick), Edwin Ray (Uncle Ed) & my dad's mom called Lewis Amos "Uncle Lew". She was Harvey's oldest & her name was Neva Elaine (Straight)(Jones)(Nelson) James. Her first husband was my grandfather, Lewis Marion Jones II. Before she died, she was in the Tomah Care Center & discovered her cousin Martha May was also there - Lewis & Cora's daughter. They were able to eat together at the same table in the dining room. Also wanted to mention I suspect Henry David may have known Francis's family in NY state & maybe went along with future father-in-law Austin Thompson to the war??? Just a guess, but can't see a mother letting her 11- or 12-yr. old go to war alone. We have a photo with Henry David & Harvey & others we're not sure of but one may be Lewis. I'd be happy to email some of the photos to you- would be great if you could identify the unknowns.
Anxiously awaiting your reply,
LuAnn Rittenhouse
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Helen M Straight 5 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MugsJenstad 7 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Helen Straight 7 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MugsJenstad 7 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
thunderangel 10 Sep 2010 3:34PM GMT 
Samanthafarin... 27 Jan 2008 5:37AM GMT 
MNGenWeb 28 Jan 2008 5:30PM GMT 
aliweiss 10 Sep 2010 11:59AM GMT 
pnlritty 20 Feb 2013 6:35AM GMT