Search for content in message boards

Stanley & related families in Tishomingo & Prentiss

Replies: 1

Stanley & related families in Tishomingo & Prentiss

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stanley, McGaughy, Burns, Ricks, Blackshear, Floyd, Long, Rider, Queen, Bruton, Denson
I am searching for marriage, death, or other records of the family and in-laws of Jonathan or John G. Stanley.

Jonathan G Stanley was a son of William F Stanley and Mahala Burns. The Stanley family moved from Marshall County, Alabama into Old Tishomingo County in the late 1850s.
William F Stanley was born in Virginia about 1803. Family trees list his death on July 30, 1884 in Tishomingo but I have found no death or burial records to confirm. Mahala Burns Stanley was born about 1819 in Alabama and died after 1880. A few family trees list a death date of May 8, 1886, but again with no death record or other source to confirm.
William F. and Mahala's children were
A. Jane "Jennie" Stanley b. 1839, married John Ricks, and died Jan. 1, 1913 of tuberculosis in Tishomingo County according to her death certificate;
b. James Thomas Stanley b. 1842 in Alabama, CSA soldier, married Elmira Blackshear in April 1865, story is that he was taken prisoner a few weeks later and died in June 1865 in the federal hospital in Louisville, KY.
C. Sarah A. Stanley b. about 1845 in Alabama, never married, lived in the household of her brother John G Stanley for several decades, and died on Jun 23, 1923 of malaria in Tishomingo Co., according to her death certificate.
D. Jonathan G Stanley, b. about July 1847 in Alabama, married (1) Nancy D (unknown) in early 1870s, married (2) Martha Jane Floyd in 1897, died March 8, 1920, buried at Clausel Hill Cemetery in Prentiss County but Death certificate does not show up in State Archives Index;
E. Joseph Pinkney Stanley, b. about 1849 in Alabama, married Elizabeth "Bettie" Long, died Aug. 31, 1911 in Alcorn Co.;
F. Martin Stanley, b. 1855 in Alabama, married Mandy Elizabeth Rider, moved family to Upshur Co., Texas after 1900, died in 1931 in Texas;
G. Daniel Harvey Stanley, b. 1857, married Amanda Queen in Prentiss Co. in 1880, do not have any record of them after 1880;
H. Mary A. Stanley, b. about 1863 in Old Tishomingo, lived with her parents at 17 in 1880, no record of her after 1880 Census.

Jonathan G Stanley and Joseph Pink Stanley had large families most of whom remained in the Tish-Prentiss-Alcorn area for at least another generation. I am especially interested in information about John G Stanley's first wife listed as "Nacy D" in the 1880 Census (ancestor of my wife and children), but am also compiling records of his siblings and their spouses and children.

Jonathan G Stanley and Nancy would have married in the early 1870s. Nancy probably died in the early or mid 1880s. They had four children -
* Elizabeth Lizzie Ora Stanley (my wife's great grandmother), b. August 1874, married (1) Benjamin F. McGaughy in 1897 in Tish., married (2) Thomas G. Crowder between 1914-1917, died June 12, 1920 of "appendicitis and erysipelas" in Rienzi, Alcorn Co., according to her death certificate, and was buried at Clausel Hill Cemetery in Prentiss County.
* Adeline Ada M. Stanley, b. Feb. 28, 1877, married Elisha Larkin Bruton in 1899 in Tish Co., they have a double headstone at Palestine Cemetery, Paden, Tish. Co., but it has no death date for Ada. E.L. and Ada Bruton became guardians of her half-brother Earnest Ward Stanley after his parents died in the 1920s.
* William I. or F. Stanley, b. about 1879, shows up in the 1880 Census and the 1894 Tish. educable children, but I have not been able to find him later. There is a William Stanley, 19, as a boarder with an unrelated family in Burnsville in the 1900 Census, but there were three William Stanleys fairly close in age, all cousins, so I do not know which William was the boarder.
* J. M. Stanley, b. about 1881, age 12 in the 1894 Tish educable children enumeration, but not at home in the 1900 Census.

The father, 47-year-old Jonathan G Stanley married 16-year-old Martha Jane Floyd in Oct. 1897. They had seven children before John G Stanley died in March 1920. Martha Jane Floyd Stanley died sometime in the 1920s. There is no death certificate for either of them in the state index.
Their seven children:
George Gilbert Stanley (1899-1970), married Emma ____.
Tisha or Titia or Tishee or Missee Stanley (1902-????) (her name is different on every record), I have not found her after 1920 Census;
Alice C or Allie Stanley (1906-????), in the 1910 Census and the 1912 Tish educable children enumeration, but not in the 1920 Census with the rest of the family;
John A. Stanley (1908-1970), married Claudia Irene _____ in the 1920s;
Virgie Stanley (1912-????), in 1920 Census with family in Alcorn Co., have not found her after that;
Earnest Ward Stanley (1915-1975), married Minnie Lou Denson in 1937, in 1930 Census lived with half-sister Ada Stanley Bruton and E.L. Bruton in Franklin Co. Alabama;
Irene Stanley (1919-????), infant in 1920 Census, not found after that.

I am interested in any marriage, death, burial records or any other wills, tax, school records for any of these individuals or their families. I am especially interested in marriage records, obituaries, or other records that can confirm the maiden names of the women who married into the Stanley family or can show who the Stanley women married.

Thank you for any assistance.

Brian Martin

Here is my tree on Ancestry.com with as much confirmation as I could find from online resources:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/6577194/person/6125957679
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bmartindc 22 May 2012 4:31AM GMT 
adh3_1 8 Aug 2012 6:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic