Search for content in message boards

James Hoard Claybrook

Replies: 13

Re: James Hoard Claybrook

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 12:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Claybrook, Spoon, Hensley
I am not a descendant of this family and my research is based on an interest in discovering who the H. Claybrook was that filed the original Texas Land Claim that is now a land abstract located in Wood County, Texas. Wood County was formed in 1850 and the inhabitants of that county actually show up in the 1850 census for Van Zandt County, TX. There is an H. Claybrook, age 24 (~1826), with a wife, Nancy, age 19 (~1831), and a one month old daughter, S.J. who show up in that 1850 census (Wood County). The land grant was given based on 3 years occupancy and improvements. The 1850 census shows that they came from Cole County, MO and that their daughter was born in Hopkins Co, TX.

Looking back at Missouri Marriage Records, they show that Hoid (Hoard) Claybrook married Nancy Spoon 13 July 1848 in Cole Co, MO. Looking in that same county for the possible parents of Hoard Claybrook, I find that a James Claybrook married Lydia Hensley on 31 Aug 1823 in Cole County, MO. James can be found in the 1830 and 1840 census, but is gone for the 1850 census of Cole County. There is however a James H. Claybrook single and in his twenties living there. I figured he must be a younger brother to Hoard Claybrook that went to Texas.

The H. Claybrook family did not stay long in Texas as I did not find them there in census after 1850. Looking back at Missouri, I did find Hoard Claybrook, wife Nancy and son Christifer C., age 23 (born Missouri) listed in the Richland, Ozark Co, MO census for 1880. Next door is a Peter Claybrook age 25 who was born in Texas, he has a wife and child.

In a Civil War Registration for Missouri, dated 30 Sept. 1863, there is a Hoard Claybrook, age 36, listed as residing at Miller Township, Maries Co, MO. This is the same location that is shown for Peter and Sarah Spoon (parents of his wife Nancy) in the 1860 census.

Then in Ozark Co, MO I find a cemetery that was formerly owned by Peter Spoon that is now named Elijah Cemetery. Within the Elijah Cemetery listings I find both Claybrook and Spoon family buried there.

I also find Missouri Death Certificates for Nancy (Spoon) Claybrook Cobb who was born 7 April 1831 in Indiana and died 19 Sept 1914 in Ozark Co, MO and is reported buried in Elijah, MO. I also find a death certificate for her son Chris Claybrook, Hoard and Nancy's younger son, and he too is buried there and his death certificate shows his parents to be Hoard Claybrook and Nancy Spoon.

Hoard Claybrook apparently died sometime between the 1880 census and the 1900 census since his wife Nancy can still be found there in later census. Nancy appears in the 1910 census as Nancy Cobb, widow and mother to the head of house, living in the home of her son Chris Claybrook.

Peter Claybrook, the older son who was born in Texas in 1855, left Missouri sometime after the 1880 census and moved on Cherokee County, Kansas where he and his family are found in the 1910 and 1920 census.

Again, this is NOT my family, this is simply what I have discovered in my two days of research.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
garymaize1 23 Mar 2012 11:50AM GMT 
crystallite80... 23 Mar 2012 3:32PM GMT 
TaylorHintch 17 Jul 2012 10:56PM GMT 
LooneyMcBride 25 Mar 2014 6:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic