The Kirksville Daily Express, Kirksville Missouri, 14 December 1912 p 1 col 5
Dr. James Hanks, of Brashear, dropped dead at his home there this afternoon after a stroke of apoplexy aged 52 years. Dr. Hanks was apparently in the best of health this morning and drove out in the country to see a patient. He returned about noon put up his horse in the barn, and sustained the stroke immediately after he entered the house. Mrs. Hanks and the children living at home were not in the house at the time and his death was not discovered until their return, according to word received this afternoon. Dr. Hanks was brought up in the Locust Hill neighborhood and had been practicing medicine in Adair County for 20 years. Besides his wife, he leaves four children, Paul, Ralph , Jean and Horace Hanks.
The Kirksville Weekly Graphic, Kirksville Missouri, 20 Dec 1912 p 5 col 1
Dr. James Hanks, a prominent physician, died suddenly at his home in Brashear Saturday afternoon from apoplexy. He had been out to see a patient in the morning, and it was noticed that he acted queerly, but no serious thought was given the matter and his sudden death was a shock to the community. He was a graduate of Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York City, taking his degree in 1890. One year later he was married to Miss Hopkins. At the time of his death he was a member of the Adair county and North Missouri Medical Association. The funeral took place from the Christian Church in Brashear Sunday afternoon. The funeral service at the church was conducted by Rev. J. M. Harris, after which the Masons took charge of the remains and laid them to rest with Masonic honors.
The Kirksville Journal, Kirksville Missouri, 19 Dec 1912 p 1 col 3
Dr. James Hanks of Brashear, Succumbs to Attack of Heart Failure
Dr. James Hanks who has been a resident of Brashear for over twenty-five years and a practicing physician for over twenty years, died very suddenly at his home in that city, of apoplexy, last Saturday afternoon. Dr. Hanks had been called to the home of Elza Patterson, two miles northeast of Brashear to attend Mrs. Patterson, who is a daughter of Judge D. H. Crawford. Judge Crawford and other who were at the Patterson home noticed that Dr. Hanks was laboring under difficulties, his face and neck being swollen and very red. They insisted that he lay down and that another physician be called. But Dr. Hanks went on and waited on the patient. In the meantime however, Dr. Barnes of Brashear had been called. When he arrived at the Patterson he announced that Dr. Hanks was a very sick man. But Dr. Hanks drove his team home, unhitched and put it in the barn, went to the house, answered a telephone call, telling a patient that he would be there shortly, turned from the telephone, and-the end came-the end came to a busy life-a life that was full of kindly deeds, of splendid professional service, and of everything that goes to make up true manhood.
Dr. Hanks was born in Adair County, Feb. 6, 1860; moved with his parents to Locust Hill, Knox County, where he grew to young manhood. He attended the Brashear Academy about 1884-5, then later he taught in the same school. He studied medicine under Dr. S. L. Ellis in Brashear and graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1890. He also done [sic] post granduate work in New Orleans and Cincinnati. Dr. Hanks was one of the best read M. D.'s in this state, and had a finely equipped office. He also had the B. S. degree from Oaklawn College, Novelty, Mo. He was a member of the Christian Church of the Adair County Medical Association, and the Masonic Order. He was been a member of the board of education, the board of trustees of Brashear, and had held other positions of trust.
He was former president of the Adair County and North Missouri Medical Societies and at his death was a member of the Judicial Council of the Missouri State Medical Association from the Sixth District. On May 14, 1891 Dr. Hanks was united in marriage to Miss Estella Hopkins, daughter of the late Dr. W. R. Hopkins, the pioneer physician in Brashear. They have four children. Mrs. Hanks and the three oldest children have been living at 803 South Franklin Street in this city, since school began last fall, and the youngest a son about 10, has been at home with his father and grandmother in Brashear. It is the intention of the mother to still reside here and keep the children in school.
The funeral was held at the Christian Church in Brashear Sunday afternoon, and was conducted by Rev. Harris. The ceremonies at the grave being conducted by the Masons. The large crowd of sympathizing friends and neighbors in attendance was a testimony of the worth and esteem of the deceased.