Swift/Sapp marriage and Joseph C. Nowlin

Replies: 3

Swift/Sapp marriage and Joseph C. Nowlin

Paula J. (Dillon) Williams (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2006 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: Swift, Sapp, Nowlin, Dillon
My great grandfather was also named Joseph C. Nowlin. He was also known as JC. His daughter, Laurie (really Laura) by his first wife, Nancy Ellen (Sapp) Nowlin was my grandmother.

Joseph was married 3 times, widowed twice, losing his first wife and possibly wife #2 shortly after childbirth. There were a total 16 children, (one set of twins that died as infants.) Joseph, himself died in 1917, but his grave is unmarked somewhere in the Mossy Cemetery near Warsaw.

I have the list of children at home, but I am at work at the moment.

I have been told by a very reliable source, an actual granddaughter of Joseph, (she's 82, living in Minnesota) that his father's name was Abe, or Abraham. That Abraham was a blacksmith that came from Virginia. No info at this time on his actual mother though. but I'm still searching.

I have info that says Abraham Nowlin married a Sarah Ann Swift, but she was NOT Joseph's mother. Joseph was born in VA in May of 1854 or there abouts. Abraham and Sarah Swift were married in 1864 in Benton County, MO. Census records state that Joseph's parents were both born in Virginia, and Sarah was born in Missouri. So I'd say it's safe to rule Sarah Swift out as Joseph's mother.

I'd love to hear from you, and how you're related to Joseph Nowlin. I'm finding new relatives all over!

Paula J. Williams
Claycomo, MO

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Paula J. (Dillon) Williams 4 Dec 2006 8:31PM GMT 
Kathy Minks 5 Dec 2006 4:05AM GMT 
garydkelb1 16 Apr 2013 1:00PM GMT 
LindaDukes641... 29 Aug 2013 1:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic