Search for content in message boards

Mueller Family Record

Replies: 15

Mueller Family Record

Posted: 6 Feb 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 29 Nov 2006 11:43AM GMT
Surnames: Mueller, Rechten, Mahnken, Schnackenberg, Kaars, Meyer, Brase, Harms, Borchers, Eckhoff, Klindworth, Beckman, Besalske, Heimsoth, Lobek, Goller, Heitmann, Oetting, Schluesing
Written by Martin Herman Mueller
Grandson of Peter Mueller 1810-1886
Dwight Illinois
January 1946

To Whom It May Concern:

It seems as though it was but yesterday when the Mueller children of Cord and Maria Mueller of Cole Camp, Mo. were boys and lassies. Today, Jan. 1946, they have grown to maturity. P.D. has scored 77 years, Charlotte 76, Anna died in 1900, Marie died in 1875, C.C. is 69, Bill 68, P.G. died in 1935 (Orange, Calif.) Henry is 62, and Martin 60.

There is quite a space between the oldest and the youngest. That also accounts for the influence the older exerted on little Martin. Well does he remember, then about 6 years old, when by chance he went into the cellar of the family home and surprised P.D., who was busily engaged eating a goodly portion of peaches and cream. Naturally the little fellow would have squealed on him, but the big brother, not willing to take a chance whispered, "Come here, Martin, come here." With that he let me in on the secret, gave me a good helping of peaches and cream with the fatherly admonition, "DonÂ’t say a word about this." (Du segst kein Wort davon.) The bribe worked, and in the future he was very cautious. And, by the way, did C.C. and Bill ever perform a good trick when they put asafetida in P. D.Â’s pipe. (We called it TuefelÂ’s Dreck, or DuebelÂ’s Dreck). Boy, did that stink! Pete coughed and coughed, and then . . . well, no one was guilty.

Dad once said that Bill, even as a small child, would always play with bugs, no matter what kind they were, and told him repeatedly, "Son, you’ll get stung some day." And so it happened. Bill and C.C. were in the field one day when Bill saw a bumblebee on a clover blossom. He had the idea that if he could catch the queen of the bumblebees and put her in a cage the other bumblebees would carry honey to her. C.C. was ready with good advice – he always was. He assured Bill that the queen does not sting and he said "This is the queen", pointing to one on a clover blossom, "you can carry her home in your pocket." They succeeded in putting it safely in Bill’s pants pocket. To prevent her from crawling out C.C. pinned the pocket shut. Bill is now ready to go home. Only a few steps and the trouble began. Poor Bill! C.C.’s suggestion hadn’t been so good after all. But Dad’s prediction had come true, "Son, you will get stung some day." But why enter upon anecdotes when the real purpose of these lines is to give some information concerning a family tree – for the benefit of the next generation.

It is not always wise to search the family record back into the ages. Peradventure we should find that some of our ancestors were horse thieves or pirates? You know, some people who were very desirous to know all about their forefathers back into the ages, stopped searching when they ran into bad water, when they dug up facts which caused much chagrin and embarrassment. We shall not take a chance. Let us be satisfied with the information relative to our ancestors as it was gathered by P.D., the eldest in the family. The report was written in German. If you desire you may have the original text. What you have read so far is of little value, what follows now is history. P.D. writes:

Brief remarks concerning our ancestors based on information received from our father and great-uncle John Henry Mueller. A document – a bequest of uncle Dietrich Mueller – presented to me after his death, reads as follows:

"Abstracts from the church records at Wilstedt Amt Ottersberg, Koenig-reich (province) of Hanover."

Dierk Mueller, *Kaethner [Koethner] (cottager) in Fischerhude, legitimate son of Peter Mueller, cottager there, and Anna, nee Rasten [Incorrect - the original Wilstedt records confirm that Anna's surname was Rechten], was born One Thousand Seven Hundred Ninty-one (1791) on the 13th of January.

He was united in marriage One Thousand Eight Hundred Nine (1809) the 12th of May, with Gesche Mahnken, legitimate daughter of Cord Mahnken, a "Baumann" (a man in the building trade)[Incorrect, see footnotes] in Wilstedt, and Anna, nee Mahnken, born One Thousand Seven Hundred Ninety (1790) on March 9th.

Dierk Mueller died 1828, 26th Junius. The children of this union are: (1) Peter, born One thousand Eight Hundred Ten (1810) the 10th Junius. He married 1838 the 28th of September, Anna Schnackenberg, legitimate daughter of Johann Heinrich Schnackenberg, school teacher at Dipschorn,[Dipshorn] and Gretje, nee Kaars, born One Thousand and Eight Hundred Thirteen (1813) on March 9th.
(2 & 3) The twins, Cord and Johann Heinrich, born One Thousand Eight Hundred Thirteen (1813) 21st of November. [Incorrect - the original Wilstedt records confirm that the twins were born 21 November 1815]

This certifies, sub fide pastorali, the correctness of this abstract taken from the local Church records.

Wilstedt October 13th, 1838

(Seal) (Signed) H. G. Rodde, Pastor.

(*Kaethner is a property owner of "fuenf Morgen Land") (Whatever that may be!)[See Footnotes]

Our great-grandfather Dierk Mueller, lived 3/4 hourÂ’s walk from Ottersberg at Fischerhude, where he died of typhoid fever in the year 1828, and was buried in the cemetery next to his garden. A tombstone marks his resting place.[Destroyed WW-2] Family devotions were conducted regularly in his home. He was the only child of his parents.

Our grandfather, Peter Mueller, came to America in 1838, shortly after he had married Anna Schnackenberg. The young couple was accompanied by his mother and brother Johann Heinrich. (His brother Cord had come to America the year previous.) After a six weeks journey on a sailboat they landed at New Orleans, December 18th, 1838. They remained in New Orleans for three months. Then they were induced to move to Benton Co., Mo. by David Holsten, who had settled there a few years previous. They made the trip from New Orleans to St. Louis by boat on the Mississippi River, thence on the Missouri to Boonville, Mo., arriving there in spring of 1839. By ox-cart they traveled 65 miles over wild prairies. Johann Heinrich Mueller remained two years in St. Louis, but joined them in Benton Co. in 1841. Our great-grandfather and grandmother both took up Government land, each 160 acres, and began their home life. Both farms were well located – at the edge of timber.

Poverty was the order of the day among those settlers. However, there also were advantages. Missouri timber offered them the finest building material for houses and barns. They were practical people. Bedsteads, tables, chairs and other articles for home use were built by grandfather. The homes were generally built of logs.

To supply the family with wearing apparel was a job assigned chiefly to the mothers. Wool produced by the sheep served to make material for clothing. The wool was washed and then spun into yarn. For dye they used the hull of walnuts or oak bark. After the yarn was dyed it was woven into cloth on the weaving-loom. (The weaving-loom was built by grandfather. It was a complicated construction, huge, indestructible, made of the most beautiful walnut lumber.) To produce stockings, socks, mittens, shawls, and caps constituted the familyÂ’s knitting project. Father, mother, sons, and daughters would sit around the table in the evening knitting. Light was furnished by a "Kruesel" (grease pot?) or candle. Visits in the neighborhood were frequently made during winter on moonlight nights. Even while visiting they took to knitting, with an occasional recess to eat apples or crack and eat nuts. Walnuts, hickory nuts, and hazelnuts grew in abundance in Missouri timbers and every family laid in a full supply in fall for the winter. Pete reports: "When I was eight years old I had to learn the precious art of knitting. I knitted my own stockings and mittens until I was 14 years old. Until that age all the clothes I wore were made by Mother."

Let us now return to the history of the grandparents.

The closest towns for shopping were Boonville and Jefferson City, about 65 miles away. Father often related how grandfather made those trips to one or the other of those shopping centers twice a year with oxen. He would take eggs, butter, furs, etc. to the market to buy supplies for the family and neighbors. Such a trip would take a whole week.

The grandparents had five sons and one daughter, viz.: Dietrich, Gesche, Cord, Heinrich, Johann, and Peter. Johann died during the Civil War. Each of the other four took up 160 acres of Government land when they had reached the required age. Miss Gesche married Claus Brase. He also took up 160 acres of Government land. All four farms bordered. Thus the grandparent and their children with their families lived close together. This setup was frequently referred to as the Mueller Village.
What about their church affiliation? For some time this question remained unsettled. There was no organized congregation when the great-grandparents settled in Benton Co. (The Missouri Synod was not organized until 1847). Men who called themselves pastors made their frequent visits among the settlers. To mention one, there was a certain Meyer, a shepherd from Germany, who posed as an independent pastor. He was nicknamed "Schaefer Meyer" (Shepherd Meyer). ("Schaefer" was used ironically. It carries more irony and sarcasm in the German language than "shepherd" in the English, especially when used in Low-German, "Schaepa.") Later the German Methodists invaded the settlements to confuse the minds of people who were not accustomed to different denominations. Our great-uncle, Cord Mueller, (not to be confused with our dad, Cord) who lived at Smithton, about 20 miles north of the settlement, joined them. After this the Mo. Synod came into the field. By the grace of God they met with success. Grandfather joined, so did the other brothers. The congregation at Lake Creek was organized. [Holy Cross Lutheran] All members of the Mueller Village remained faithful members of the congregation. (What has become of the Mueller Settlement? Pete didnÂ’t enter upon this phase of the history. To say the least, the settlement is no more. The next generation is scattered all over the States. We find them in Mo., Ill., Iowa, Nebr. Okla., California, etc.)

Not all the settlers remained faithful to the Mo. Synod. The settlement consisted of more than the Muellers. But even for some of these the Mo. Synod was too strict, especially in respect to the dance question. They found a more liberal spirit in the Iowa Synod. Among them was our great-uncle, Johnn Heinrich. He joined the congregation of the Iowa Synod, who had erected a church not far from uncle BraseÂ’s home. [Brauersville Lutheran] Our great-grandmother is buried on their cemetery. Pete reports: I visited her grave two years ago (1937). Her tombstone bears the following epigraph: "Hier ruhet in Frieden Gesche Mueller, geb. 19 Maerz, 1790, gest. 20 Juni, 1865. (Here rests in peace Gesche Mueller, born March 19, 1790, Died June 20, 1865).

Ein treues Mutterherz hiernieden,
Von zarter Sorge nur bewegt;
Von keinen Kummer mehr erregt."

(Should I try my luck at translating this verse? No harm in trying.)

A faithful mother heart in life,
Though tender worries oft cost care,
Rests here in peace without a strife,
No further grief henceforth to bear.

In later years our great-uncle returned to the Mo. Synod. One of his grandchildren was Pres. of the Oklahoma district for a number of years. (The Rev. Henry Mueller of Fairmont, Okla.)

The Civil War broke out in 1861. (1861-1865) Missouri was the dividing State between the North and the South. – A bad spot to be. – The Germans saved the State for the North. In Benton Co. they organized a home guard, 300 strong. Their worst enemies were the "bush-whackers", as the Confederate guerrillas of the Civil War were called. They were nothing less than robbers and murderers. Wherever they had the opportunity they would rob the German settlers and if they captured any male members of the family, they were dragged into the timber and shot.

Shortly after the beginning of the war, on June 19, 1861, there was a skirmish, near Cole Camp, Mo., between the Confederate and the home guard. During the battle our father (Cord Mueller) was wounded in the leg. His foot remained crippled for life. After the war the Government granted him enough pension to hire a man who would help him work the farm. That was very little in those days. Uncle Claus Brase was also wounded in the leg but recovered fully.

(N.B. I recall father telling the story of the battle. He said, had we had a good captain the Confederates would not have had a chance. Of course dad remained on the battlefield – those who were able fled. Most of their men had been shot in the legs, due to the lay of the field. When the Confederates came to him, one of the soldiers, a drunken fool pointed to dad and said, "I’m going to cut his throat." But the officer restrained him saying, "You don’t lay your hand on him." They wanted to amputate his leg but he objected, stating that he felt certain the leg could be saved. He got his way. MHM)

GrandfatherÂ’s house stood close to the Stage road, which was much traveled by the Confederates on their way to the north. However, grandmother was never molested. She made it a practice that whenever some of the Confederates would come to the yard she would meet them with apples in her apron, greet them friendly and offer them apples. Whenever larger numbers of the enemies came by, the Home Guard would retreat into the timber. After all-clear signal, they would appear again. Whenever they captured bushwhackers they turned them over to the officers of the Federal troops. They saw to it that their career was ended.

Later, when the Home Guard was no longer necessary, most of the members joined the regular army of the North. (Federals). Our father was not able to join because of the inflicted wound. Uncle John enlisted but died in service of dysentery, at Springfield, Mo. There he was buried on the soldierÂ’s cemetery.

Grandmother Anna, nee Schnackenberg, died Feb. 17, 1870. She was buried on the cemetery of Lake Creek congregation. (Lake Creek was a post office.) A tombstone marks her grave. Her funeral text was Ps. 73:25,26: "Whom have I in heaven but Thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever."

After grandmotherÂ’s death grandfather made his home with uncle HenryÂ’s, where he had a private room. Since there were few doctors in those regions at the time, grandfather laid in a supply of homeopathic medicines which he obtained from Luyties Pharmacal Co., St. Louis, Mo. There were used in cases of minor ailments. Pete states, "GrandfatherÂ’s sugar pills tasted good. We liked them." But he also had an instrument called "Lebenswecker" (awakener of life) which he would apply whenever he thought it necessary. This treatment was plenty painful and not at all liked by the children. (Note: If anyone would use such an instrument on a human being today it would horrify the most simple as well as the men of medical science. Yes, I remember seeing the instrument. It was a tool with many needles in a disk. By some manipulation they were shot into the flesh but immediately released. It was never used on me, but I can understand that it would awaken life in the body wherever it stuck. I should like to have the instrument as a relic. I wonder who the possessor is? NHM) Also vaccination was performed by grandfather, not only in his own family but also in the families of the neighbors. Vaccination produced many tears.

Grandfather was liked by his grandchildren. They enjoyed visiting with him in his room. To the south of his room stood a stately cedar tree. From it he would cut a limb each year which served us as Christmas tree. That tree was still standing two years ago (1937). It was then over 70 years old. Grandfather read the church papers faithfully as well as the Synodical reports. He was much interested in the affairs of the congregation and synod. He had a vineyard which he tended carefully until his end. He died on March 10, 1886, of heart failure, and was buried on Lake Creek cemetery. His funeral text was; Phil. 1:21: "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." A tombstone marks his resting place.

Our father, Cord Mueller, entered upon the holy estate of matrimony on April 12, 1867 with Maria Christine Harms, daughter of Christian Harms and wife Charlotte, nee Klindworth, who shortly before had come from Germany. Her brothers were: Christian, Dietrich, Heinrich, and John. Christian settled at Kiowa, Nebr. In 1872, taking a claim of 160 acres Government land. Dietrich and Henry lived 2-3 miles northwest of Cole Camp. The settlement bore the nickname "Kaese Creek" – Cheese Creek. John drowned in a river near Sweet Springs, Mo. Her oldest sister, Katharina, Mrs. Friedrich Borches,[Borchers] who came to the States, a few years earlier, made much cheese - ergo, Cheese Creek. Another sister, Sophia (Mrs. Peter Eckoff) lived in the same settlement, neighbors to Borches.[Borchers] Grandfather and grandmother Harms came to America in 1872. They lived a number of years in a small house which father built for them. It was situated north of the orchard. After uncle Henry Harms got married they moved to Cheese Creek and lived with them until grandfather died, April 13, 1883. Soon after, grandmother made her home with uncle Borches.[Borchers] She died March 14, 1896.

Our parents had nine children, vis.:

Peter Dietrich born April 8, 1868
Charlotte Christine Oct. 26, 1869
Anna Katherina Sophia Nov. 2, 1871
Maria Dorothea Mar. 30, 1874
Conrad Christian (C.C.) Apr. 7, 1876
Friedrich Wilhelm (Bill) Aug. 12, 1878
Paul Gottfried (P.G.) June 29, 1880
Johann Heinrich (Henry) June 30, 1883
Martin Herman Feb. 27, 1885

Maria Dorothea died Feb. 12, 1875 of dysentery. Anna K.S. died march 18, 1900 in Cape Girardeau, Mo., while staying with her sister Charlotte, the wife of Prof. Henry Lobeck, who was then pastor of the Cape Girardeau congregation. Mother died Feb. 26, 1902 of kidney infection. Father followed her in death – after a lingering illness – on July 9, 1919. All four are buried on the Lutheran cemetery of Lake Creek congregation. [Holy Cross] A tombstone marks each grave. There were not any lots to be had in those days. (Not on that cemetery). They were buried in rotation – regardless.

P.G. and Henry, with their families, moved to Orange, California, in 1921.(?) P.G. died there Aug. 23, 1935 and was buried in Orange, Calif.

This ends PeteÂ’s report of 1937.

Wir Fahren fort!

Regarding the children and their whereabouts – 1946 –

Peter (P.D.) having finished the parochial school at Lake Creek, decided to prepare for the ministry. He graduated from Concordia Sem., Springfield, Ill., in 1890. His first charge was Spencer, Iowa. He then accepted a call to California, Mo. 1905. In 1907 he was called to serve St. JohnÂ’s congregation, Topeka, Kans., where he served until he resigned in 19__. He married Marie Lobeck, sister to Prof. H. Lobeck, in 1892. This union was blessed with 10 children: Dorothy Marie, Pauline, Cord, Theodor (now pastor in Dodge City, Kans.), Hugo, Gertrude, Olivia. If this isnÂ’t correct or not all, so help me Mother.) Three children died in their infancy. Marie died in 19__.

Charlotte was married to Rev. Henry Lobeck (Hank) in 189_, then pastor of St. Paul’s church, Sedalia, Mo. Their lot was five children: Walter, Gustav, Martin, Dorothy. One of their children died when about 2 years old. The three boys are pastors and Dorothy is teaching parochial school in St. Louis. (What a time Henry and Martin had whenever Hank came to our home on the farm during his courtship. Sister Charlotte was the attraction. Nothing pleased us more than when he made a kite for us. The first of its kind we had ever seen. And we were permitted to fly it. What do you know!) Hank accepted a call to Cape Girardeau, Mo., in 19__. In 1904 he was called to the professorship of St. Paul’s College, Concordia, Mo. For many years he taught foreign languages, chiefly Greek and Hebrew. He retired in the year 1944. Note: things can happen. And one did happen to Hank, while they were living in Sedalia, Mo. Those were the good old days when one could refer to a well built – mostly poorly built – backhouse. There in the back yard of the parsonage it stood. And so it cam to pass while Hank was therein one day – it was for business sake – he lit his cigar or pipe, (No, no cigarettes in those days.) and threw the burning match into (you know where) and then continued with his business. Suddenly he noticed more smoke than what he was creating. He took time out to investigate and discovered the fire. Like a mad-man he dashed to the house: "give me a bucket, give me a bucket, quick, quick," he urged. Charlotte: "What wrong?" "Don’t ask questions, we can talk later." Before the last word was finished he was already on his way with the second bucket of water. Well, he, being a good fire-fighter, won the victory. No, it wasn’t the dilapidated outhouse that worried him, but the possibility that the neighbors might turn in a fire alarm.

C.C. attended St. Paul’s College Concordia, Mo. for one year. Then he attended Addison Teacher’s College. But he had to discontinue because of illness. Back on the farm he got the idea to get married. And he did – having reached the age of twenty-one. He married Sophia Beckman of Lake Creek, Mo. They also have five children: Walter, Paul, Norman, Wilbert, and Wilma.

C.C. and family moved quite often. For a few years after their marriage, they lived on a farm close to Cole Camp, Mo. They sold out and moved to Nebraska. Then to Orlando, Okla. For a while on a farm, then he bought a general merchandise store. After a number of years, he sold out and moved to Winfield, Ks. To make a short-cut, they now are living at Wichita, Ks. All their children are married. The youngest, Wilma, is married to Rev. Albert Besalske.

Friedrich Wilhelm. After his confirmation Bill attended St. Paul’s College, Concordia, Mo. This institution having but a three year course to offer he transferred to Concordia, Milwaukee. Having finished two years there he entered Concordia Seminary, Springfield, Ill. After graduation he accepted a call to Jerico Springs, Mo. A few years of bachelorship convinced him that it is not good for a preacher to be alone. He found his life companion in Miss Clara Goller of Appleton City, Mo. Not long after their marriage he accepted a call to California, Mo. as successor to his brother P.D. In 1927 he became pastor of the congregation at Clarinda, Iowa. Here he served until he resigned from the active ministry – 1943. Bill and Clara are now leading a retired life in Yorktown, Iowa. Their children, five in number, are: Paul, Martha, Carl, Wilma, and Edwin. Carl and Edwin were in service during World War II.

Paul Gottfried (P.G.) Having finished parochial school – and after confirmation (the rite of confirmation terminated parochial school days. The eight grades of today were not.) P.G. worked on the farm. At the age of 18 or 19 he attended a Business College in Sedalia, Mo. There is where he met Emelia Heitmann, and fell in love with her. Marriage followed at the age of twenty-one. They lived on a farm near the family home. About 1907, they sold the farm and moved to Orlando, Okla., joining C.C. in business. After a number of years they returned to Mo. and went back to farming. In 1921 they sold their farm and moved to California making Orange their permanent home. P.G. died in 1935. They have three boys: Arthur, Norman, and Paul.

John Henry (Henry or Hans). After his parochial school days had ended, and one semester of public school, he continued working on the farm with his father. Later he took a business course in Sedalia, Mo. Though it was his desire to continue his studies and go into business, he returned to the farm because Dad needed him. Love is a peculiar thing. HenryÂ’s made a good landing. It settled on the heart port of Frieda Heimsoth. Needless to say, they became man and wife. For a number of years they lived on the homestead. Together with P.G.Â’s, they conceived the idea to move to Orange, California. They have enjoyed the garden spot of creation for many years. They live in a beautiful home on a 20 acre grove. The Lord blessed them with five children; however, the eldest, Richard, died when still an infant. The other four are: Arnold, Irma, Lydia, and Hilbert. Arnold and Hilbert served our country in World War II.

Martin Herman, the last and the least. Born Feb. 27, 1885 to Cord Mueller and wife Maria, nee Harms, he came to be the ninth child of the Mueller family. No chance to get spoiled. Reasons: (1) Henry was only 18 months old when little Martin arrived; (2) as the ninth child he caused an overcrowded nest; (3) C.C., Bill, and P.G. were old and smart enough to make the poor child walk the chalk line. When he had reached the age of six – time to start school – it was realized that already three were attending the same parochial school. And so he had to wait another year. Remember, we had to walk three miles to get to school. Whenever the weather was too rough we got a horse to ride. But the "Schimmel" could accommodate only three. Where would poor me come in? Enuf said!

MartinÂ’s schooling continued after confirmation. Four years at St. PaulÂ’s College, Concordia, Mo., and two years at Concordia, Ft. Wayne, Ind. From 1906-1909 he attended Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. From Easter to July he served as vicar in Jefferson City, Mo.

When in June 1909, the calls were dished out he learned that he was assigned to serve Marena, Stillwater, and Richburg, Okla. (In those days they made no big-to-do over the calls. All we had was a short devotion in the Aula. Dr. Pieper was the speaker. Later the calls were delivered to our rooms.) On Aug. 29, 1909, he was ordained and installed by Rev. Fritsche, in a small country church, nine miles from Orlando. Before Christmas of that year he moved to Richburg. (The Mission Board had given orders.) In spring he opened a parochial school. The first of its kind in that congregation. In four years it grew to be a school of 35 children – eight grades plus religion and German.

One of his happiest days – so he says – was the 12th of Sept. 1909. That Sunday he was serving Richburg congregation in the morning. Perry Congregation, 7 miles to the northwest, was celebrating its annual Mission Festival. In the afternoon he attended their service – and – met the sweetest girl he ever laid eyes on. Her name was Emily Oetting. Of course, it took some time to learn whether the road was open or blocked. The next day he returned to his lonesome bachelor home at Marena. But the thought lingered in his mind, "The Lord will provide for you." And He did. He knew that the poor preacher was in need of a helpmate, and that she was the one who would make him happy. They were married on Nov. 2, 1910, at Golden, Ill., in the church of her father, the Rev. W. Oetting. After a few weeks of honeymoon they returned to Okla.

On Saturday, July 4, 1914, the couple rejoiced over the arrival of their first-born, Elder Herbert. A call extended by Emmanuel congregation, Dwight, Ill. had beat the little fellow to it by a margin. While he was trying hard to rest the next day (Sunday) in 107 degrees Fahrenheit, the dad was holding a meeting with the members of his congregation to obtain his release. Six weeks later the family moved to Dwight, Ill. and he was installed Aug. 23, 1914 by Rev. J Leimer. In Ill. three more children arrived to make it a happy Kindergarten of four members. Here they are: Elder, Hilbert, Arlo, Maxine. And now, children, you may continue the story.
Footnotes: (Provided by Roland Washausen of Bremen, host of the Fischerhude website - see link below)

A Baumann was a free farmer, well-to-do, with his own land, houses, hired help, in former times living and acting like an Earl.

A Koethner was a stand-alone farmer, with a small farm and some cattle, but he was free to cultivate his land, or raise cattle, or do as he wished.

A Morgen is a unit of land measure:
4 Morgen = 1 Hectare (about 2-1/2 acres). Fuenf (5) arable Morgen were sufficient to feed a large family, but the money was earned by breeding of horses and cattle, and fishing, and not by cultivation of the land. (Fischerhude means "Fishing Point")

Posted by Homer R. Ficken, Fort Worth, Texas - Email:
Greatgreatgrandson of Cord Mueller born 1815 in Fischerhude; the first to emigrate. He married Gretje Mahnken in St Louis 1839, was in Benton Co 1840, Pettis Co 1850, Morgan Co 1860, St Clair Co Illinois 1870s, and a widower in Smithton Mo 1880. Cord bought a Smithton cemetery plot in 1888, but it was never used. The fate of his wife and several of the children also remains unknown to me. My greatgrandmother was Cord's daughter Catherine Margaret Mueller born 1843, who married John Frederick Schluesing and died at Ionia, Mo. Their daughter Margaret Mary (Schluesing) Ficken was my grandmother.

(---------------- See "Response" to this post for descendants of Peter Mueller born 1810 ----------------)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
HRFFW 6 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
HRF 8 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
guttmorgan1 29 Apr 2005 5:28PM GMT 
HRFFW 29 Apr 2005 8:04PM GMT 
guttmorgan1 29 Apr 2005 8:32PM GMT 
Jane 26 Sep 2006 2:51AM GMT 
jmarieclawson 22 Sep 2007 10:58PM GMT 
HRFFW 23 Sep 2007 3:34AM GMT 
jmarieclawson 23 Sep 2007 12:36PM GMT 
patnwayne1 4 Jul 2010 9:32PM GMT 
per page