Search for content in message boards

Peter E. Bishop, died 1931

Replies: 0

Peter E. Bishop, died 1931

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 11:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bishop
I am looking for information on Peter E. Bishop that died 21 July 1931 near Halls. He is buried in the Kerlin Cemetery. This is the info I have on him from the funeral home and his obit (I also have his death certificate from the Missouri Death Records site):

Name: Peter Eroy Bishop
Born: 2-28-1871 in Indiana
Place of Death: 1 mile south of Halls, MO at Charles E. Henman home.
Died 7-21-31 at 3:00 AM
Cause of death: Hemorrhage of Stomach
Coroner B. Wadlock.
Age 60 years-4 months-23 days.
Graveside Service 7/23/31
By Rev. Doty
Curlin Cemetery
Arrangements by Chas. L. Henman, Halls, MO
Payment for Services:
Co. Court $15.00
Chas. L. Henman $33.25
Paid in full $48.25
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also found a small obituary of his passing, taken from the St. Joseph News-Press:

Peter E. Bishop, sixty years old, a farm laborer, died at 3 o’clock this morning (July 21, 1931) at the home of Charles E. Henman, one mile south of Halls, Missouri (Halls Station), where
he was employed. The only survivor is a brother, George Bishop, Caldwell, KS . The body is at
H.O. Sidenfaden Mortuary pending funeral arrangements.

On the 1930 census, Peter is living with the Henman family and employed as a farmer laborer.

I am trying to figure out if this man is the same person as Perry E "Pete" Bishop, son of Elias Bishop and Amanda King. Some things match, some things are off.

Match:

Name: Perry was often referred to as Pete or Peter. They both have the middle initial E. Peter Bishop's middle named was listed as Eroy, but I wonder if it was actually Elroy. Perry had a son named Harry Elroy Bishop.

Birthplace: Both born in Indiana.

Occupation: Peter was a farm laborer. Perry once owned a threshing and corn shelling business with his brother.

Does not match (keep in mind that the death certificate and obit info were supplied by his employer Charles Henman, not a relative):

Birthdate: Peter's birthdate is listed as 1871, Perry is on the 1870 census and is listed as 3 years old.

Relatives: The obit says that Peter had a brother George in Caldwell, KS. Perry had relatives in the Caldwell area. He had a nephew named George, but not a brother.

Peter is listed as Widowed on the 1930 census but Single on his death certificate. Perry was widowed.

Perry disappeared sometime after 1920 (he is listed on the 1920 census as Peter E. Bishop). The family story is that he had an argument with his brother and was never heard from again. Perry's wife Lenora died in 1917 and his daughter Blossom died in 1920 (after the census). His son Harry moved to California and died in 1971. I haven't yet discovered what happened to his other children, Juanita, Neal, and Gerald (although I believe Juanita married a man who was later killed in a shoot out with Kansas City police and that Gerald "Jack" Bishop traveled the circus circuit).

Any help discovering if these two men are the same person or different persons would be great!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions