Search for content in message boards

1860 Mystery-Franklin Burt & Warren Eller Families?

Replies: 3

1860 Mystery-Franklin Burt & Warren Eller Families?

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 11:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Aug 2002 7:34PM GMT
Surnames: ELLER, GREEN, THRELKELD, BODKIN, THARP
I need some help here. I was browsing through the 1860 Callaway County, MO. Census for Liberty Township this morning and made a startling discovery.
The census enumerator, a B. B. Nesbit on July 10, 1860 recorded members of the Franklin and Martha (Craig) BURT family living in Dwelling # 471. Two of their known children (John T. and Amanda) were not included in the listing, however. Therefore, my initial conclusion was that these two poor children must have died before the 1860 Census.
Later in the morning, I found my great-great grandparents, Warren and Mary Ann (Ridgway) ELLER listed as living in Dwelling # 482. Much to my shock, I find listed in the household with them and their two daughters, Martha & Lincy (I think this is really their daughter, Lucy) were...John BURT, age 9, and his sister, Amanda BURT, age 7.
To date, I have discovered no family relationship between the ELLERs and the BURTs. Does anyone recall seeing anything that might suggest they were possibly "good friends" or that there is, in fact, a family connection?
Does anyone know whether the Burt family belonged to the same church as the Eller family...Grand Prairie Baptist?
My best guess is that the children were at the Eller farm when the census taker stopped in and for some strange reason included these unfortunate children as living with Warren and Mary Ann? Does anybody know what day of the week July 10, 1860 fell on?
The strange thing is that Warren & Mary Ann apparently knew them well enough to give the enumerator their ages and place of birth and to tell him that they "attended school within the last year".
Why wouldn't Franklin and Martha BURT have included these children's names for the census taker?
Does anyone have a Plat Map for Liberty Township (the area around Auxvasse, I believe) which my show me how close the two families actually lived to each other?
Any light that you might shed on this discovery would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod,
Austin, TX
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
grtadman 10 Mar 2002 6:32PM GMT 
adee8461 10 Mar 2002 11:32PM GMT 
Wayne E. Johnson 11 Mar 2002 3:17PM GMT 
jasonpburt 24 Apr 2014 3:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic