Search for content in message boards

Semyra Caroline Bohannon Lancaster, Her Identity Answered

Replies: 1

Semyra Caroline Bohannon Lancaster, Her Identity Answered

Posted: 30 May 2014 12:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bohannon/Lancaster of Missouri
My recent work has been tying in Bohannon's through the Missouri Death Records system, that can be located online.
Semyra Caroline Bohannon Lancaster's Death Record has been found. Her father is listed as Zachariah Bohannon, but states on DC that he was born in Scotland, I believe to be an informants error. Records are only as good as the informant. Her mother's name was not known, but is reported as being born in Glasglow, Scotland. Which is where I feel the mistake of birth place for Zach Bohannon came from.
The way I see this information, is Zachariah Bohannon married a woman from Scotland, before his marriage to Martha Lancaster. As when you go through Zachariah's earliest census records, Semyra is always living in him home.
Semyra married a John Lancaster, she has 3 known sons. Viewing as many of their death records as I could find. John Lancaster was her husbands name. Some how I believe John Lancaster the husband and Martha Lancaster to be related. Semyra Caroline Bohannon Lancaster is not the natural daughter of Martha Lancaster Bohannon.

I have not finished the entire process of what it takes to form documentation on all the above information. But, due to the marriage record of Zachariah Bohannon and Patsy Lancaster, Semyra was born before they married. Due to her death record, her mother was born in Scotland. Semyra would be the one and only child from Zachariah's first marriage, and I would
have to assume that Semyra's mother died during or shortly after she gave birth. Leaving Zachariah Bohannon a widowed male. Shortly after his arrival to Cape Giardeau County, Missouri, he met, courted and married (Martha) Patsy Lancaster who would become the mother of the rest of his children. Those children can be found in and around Washington County, Missouri.

I am currently in search of Zachariah Bohannon's death date and place of burial, along with his second wife Martha Lancaster Bohannon. I live near St Louis, Missouri and recently spent a day walking some of the cemeteries in Washington County, mostly the ones in Walton due to his 1880 census being Walton, Washington County, Missouri. Currently still working on where all his children are buried in the area. I have pinned down that both Zachariah Bohannon and his wife Martha died after the 1880 census was taken, they both are on this census and not on the Mortality Schedule. But they died before 1890, when the Veterans Schedule was taken. As Zachariah served for the Union side during the Civil War. If he was still living, or if Martha was still living during 1890, they should of been listed on this schedule.

Getting to the court house during the week when the Probates Office would be open is not possible for me at this time. Looking to make a trip in my future to scan Probate Records, Land Records, and Court Records for some clue as their death dates. Also, will be making another trip to walk more of the cemeteries in the area. As many headstones no longer exist, it has become difficult to locate final resting places of many of his family who died before 1920.

I suspect, Zachariah Bohannon was a member of Lost Creek Baptist Church where his son, Elliott Alex Bohannon is buried. Elliott does not have a headstone. Elliott's son also buried
in this cemetery, does have a headstone, George Samuel Bohannon and his wife Lula Coleman Bohannon. Lula has a rock with her name carved into it, and the name is fading away from age. Some of their children are buried in the same area of this cemetery. In the same area, that seems to be Bohannon burial area, there are a few field stones. Could possibly be older burials for the Bohannon family.

If anyone has found any answers or has other ideas to the Idenity of Semyra Caroline Bohannon Lancaster. Please contact me at Pies_Genealogy@hotmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Patricia Cart... 30 May 2014 6:24PM GMT 
thomasker2 7 Jul 2014 9:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic