Search for content in message boards

Dr. Peter B. Smith

Replies: 1

Re: Dr. Peter B. Smith

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2013 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, GOODSPEED, JACKSON, BOONE, PERRY, JAMES
Peter Booth Smith was my paternal great grandfather, and I know that the Goodspeed Publishing Co. "puff-piece" reprinted above is 80% error; I wonder if that's also true for a the large number of similar pieces they published throughout the mid-West in the late 19th century, hoping against odds that it's not true. --- For instance the article says that "His father, Andrew Smith, ... was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was with Gen. Jackson at New Orleans." The only true part is that he spent the War as a militiaman, alright, but on the Missouri River near Boones Lick in Fort Hempstead, with the only threat being natives riled-up by the Tories. Nor was he "... of Irish-German extraction." The Smith family line was English, its 1677 Colonial immigrant being a Quaker from Yorkshire. --- In Peter Smith's military service he was not "... in the battle of Springfield", his service dates not coinciding with the date of that Battle. --- In my extensive research I have yet to find that he "... has preached more or less since [1871]. He is a deep reasoner, a fluent speaker and a number of his sermons have been published in various State papers, and have found a wide circulation." And, "For eight years the Doctor was in the drug business, four years of the time in Texas, of the firm of Perry & Smith." No, but he was for a time in Hamilton, Texas, his last son was born there, but there was no such firm there named "Perry & Smith", although Dr. George Frederick Perry did have a drugstore with a partner named John Thomas James, and it later morphed into a banking business. Peter may well have been in contact with Dr. Perry, somehow, as he went on shortly to attend the same two-year medical school as Dr. Perry had. And, a few years later he, too, had a drugstore business, near Cedar Springs before moving to Augusta Co., Kansas to continue his medical practice near a large hospital, and where he died in 1915. --- The forgoing examples are why such commercial articles are often referred-to as "puff-pieces". --- Cheers, Gary Smith, great grandson, genetic-genealogist.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Goodspeed Publishing Co. 31 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
GaryS1876 25 Jun 2013 10:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic