Search for content in message boards

Lewis Mays, Margaret Hays & Jason Green

Replies: 2

Re: Lewis Mays, Margaret Hays & Jason Green

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 12:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find information about my Great Grandfather Lewis Mays. He and Jason Green were good friends as slaves in MO. Jason was owned by a John Green who lived in Hainsville,MO (which no longer exist). Apparently Hainsville was about 8 miles from Plattsburg, in Clinton Co., MO. From the Civil War records, Jason Green states that he and Lewis Mays were near neighbors in Clinton County. I have not been able to determine what is meant by near neighbors.Lewis was owned by Arminata & Andrew Russell. In 1840 they lived in Buchanan County. In 1850 the Russell's lived in Nodaway County. In 1862 two of the Russell slaves ran north. They then moved the rest of their slaves to Boone County.From Civil War affidavits, Jason said that he and Lewis ran north, but were caught. They tried and again 1863 and made it to Iowa. Trying to trace the movements of the Russell's I have not been able to place them in Clinton County. It is possible that Lewis may have been farmed out to another slave owner in Clinton Co. and that is how it is possible for him to have known Jason. Any additional information you might have on the Mays, Green or Hays (name of Lewis Mays stepfather) would be greatly appreciated. Also, the slave owners Araminata & Andrew Russell.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
emluton 28 Apr 2002 8:18PM GMT 
heltonj03 31 Aug 2012 4:50PM GMT 
evanette3 2 Sep 2012 6:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions