Search for content in message boards

Henderson Bennett-Census records

Replies: 1

Henderson Bennett-Census records

Posted: 26 Mar 2002 9:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Dec 2002 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett and Blackwell
Since I don't know where any vital records, Bible records or other information is available on our Bennetts, I decided to search the census records.

in 1860, Henderson Bennett, 33 years of age, a farmer earning from $550-$100, born in Tennessee (source, p. 627, Cooper County, Monetan twp., Missouri) family 251

wife (had to have two ladies help me confirm the handwriting) Jemima (no maiden name) 34 years old female born in Indiana

Children: Hila E., 8, f, born in Missouri (same date we have, 1852, just a different mother) Note it's not the Mary Maloney in my saved notes.

John S. Bennett, 6 years old, m, born in Missouri approximately in 1854 (same info we had)

Then there's four more children on this census. The first two could have died between 1860 and 1870. Nancy E. Bennett, 4 years old, female, 1856, born in Missouri and Edward H. (could be Henderson) one year old male born in 1859 in Missouri.

The next two children could have married before the 1870 census because of their ages. David M. Kelsey, 12, male, Missouri; and Martha J. 14 years of age, female born in 1846 in Missorui. Since the census doesn't show relationships, I am figuring that Henderson Bennett married about 1845 at the age of 21. Notice in this census that the wife is older than the husband and especially that she's from Indiana which I think is a key clue for later ages of children.

Next, I searched the 1870 census. Here, I find Henderson Bennett in the Scott Township, Taney County, Missouri. This time he is listed as 47 years of age which makes more sense since that makes him born in 1823, the year we had him approximated at. He works on his farm and is estimated at $300. Again, he is shown to have been born in Tennessee which definitely changes the information.

Hila E. is now 18 years of age and is at home in Missouri. John S. Bennett is also now 16 years of age. However, four children are missing. Two could be deceased and two could be married. They include Nancy E., Edward H., David M. Kelsey and Martha J.

The wife in 1870 is our Dorcas A. She is shown as 38 years of age from Missouri. Now, it gets interesting. The next three children are all shown to be born in Indiana. Here's what I'm a thinking.....our Jemima, first wife, dies between 1860 and 1864. Henderson goes back to Indiana for burial or funeral arrangements. He probably marries right away and stays in Indiana long enough to have three children by Dorcas A. Blackwell: Malinda, born in 1864. William Valentine (my Great Grandfather) in 1866 and Alice F. in 1867 in Indiana.

There is also a will listed for a Henderson Bennett in Linn County, Missouri in the 1820-1878 data base and a marriage for a Henderson Bennett in Illinois in the 1850 data base of Ancestry.com, but I am not subscribed to Ancestry.com so I can't access that information.

Does anyone recognize any of this information for their family? If so, please email me at sunsetvisions@worldnet.att.net. Corine Reynolds
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CorineReynold... 26 Mar 2002 4:16PM GMT 
paulwatson234 4 Apr 2013 7:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic