Search for content in message boards

ROUTH

Replies: 13

Re: Routh add'l info..

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 2:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just checking to see who might still be looking at these families in Dallas/Polk counties.

Rosa Yates who married George W. Routh was the daughter of Nancy Watkins. Watkins was the last name of the husband Nancy married after Rosa Yates' father (Elijah Scott Yates) died. Nancy's maiden name was Gregg.

I've been looking at these family lines because I believe that Nancy Jane Gregg was the sister of my great great grandmother Martha J. Gregg who married J. W. Stroud.

J.W. Stroud's mother, Priscilla, was a Smith. Mary Smith Routh was Priscilla's older half-sister--they shared Ruben Smith as a father. Priscilla's mother Lavinia married James Patterson after Ruben Smith died.

Priscilla Smith first married Lorenzo Dow Stroud, the father of J.W. Stroud. The marrriage didn't last long. Lorenzo, a Union Civil War soldier, married another woman around the time of the war--before he and Priscilla divorced. Once the divorce was final Priscilla remarried Sam Watkins.

Small world--Sam Watkins was the brother of the Watkins that Nancy Gregg Yates married after Elijah Scott Yates died.

Would love to correspond with any who know these Dallas/Polk County families. I'm trying to learn more about my great great grandmother Martha J. Stroud. She grew up in the Buffalo area and had her children by J.W. Stroud in Dallas County. J. W. Stroud departed Missouri to go to Oklahoma for the land rush. On the way, he ditched Martha and took the children with him to Oklahoma. I haven't found the record of the divorce and don't know if Martha remarried. I know that Priscilla Watkins (her ex-mother-in-law) is buried Springfield. I tend to think that Martha continued to live in Dallas County and know that her children came to visit her there when they were old enough to travel to Missouri on their own. I would expect that the children sometimes came to visit their grandmother in Dallas County and were able to see their mother when they came for visits.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joyce Willhoit 6 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Michelle Wilson 16 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Rick Gregg 6 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
cannonsmc59 13 Aug 2012 8:56PM GMT 
Steve Lemons 3 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
rhonda friedman 7 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT 
cmac7088 10 Dec 2012 3:45AM GMT 
Colleen Oliver 3 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Alvin R. Jordan 20 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Rick Gregg 2 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions