Search for content in message boards

Why would Dunklin Co. and Mississippi Co. residents go to Greene County to get married?

Replies: 2

Why would Dunklin Co. and Mississippi Co. residents go to Greene County to get married?

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 8:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm in California. I've flown over Arkansas a time or two, and my great grandfather fought for the Union in the 10th Missouri Cavalry, before he moved to Kansas. Beyond that I don't know as much as I might about your part of the country.

I'm working on the Harkeys, some of whom stayed in Dunlkin County, Missouri, some of whom moved up to Mississippi County, Arkansas. I'm finding marriage records for both branches from Greene County, Arkansas. One such was Ruth Harkey, who said she was 21. She was 17. I figured she had eloped. Going across a county (or state) line is a time-honored tradition, especially if your parents don't approve of your spouse. But, I've found three or four others who married in Greene County. They can't ALL have married people their families disapproved of.

Do any of you know why they would do that? These marriages are in the 1930 - 1950 range.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ted Pack 15 Sep 2013 2:36PM GMT 
Jennie Green 16 Sep 2013 5:24AM GMT 
KegleyJ 17 Sep 2013 1:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions