Search for content in message boards

Need Help

Replies: 9

Re: Need Help

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 5:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
The Sunshine Acres Nursing Home was torn down in 1978-79. I grew up next door to the facility. My family's construction company was the one contracted to tear down the site. It had been vacant for at least 2 years before it was torn down. Our farm was on the corner of Farm Road 123 and EE (West Division St) According to 'Google Maps' the current field where the Sunshine Acres buildings use to be is at 4455 West Division Street. Before the site was a Nursing Home is was a Green County Alms Home (Poor House). They had a complete working farm there. When my family purchased our farm next to the nursing home in the 1960's Rex Rainey bought the existing 'barn' from the facility and had the barn moved about 1/8 of a mile onto our farm. Our farm home and property was sold to the city of Springfield and is part of the industrial park now along I-44.

When I was growing up the cemetery had gotten overgrown and had been abandoned. There is a single 'historical / grave marker' there that can be accessed that provides a quite a lot of detail about the history of the Alms Farm and Sunshine Acres site. The cemetery is accessible on W. Production Street when approached from Kearney Street and is directly east of SPFD Airport. The nursing home was a HUGE facility. It had multiple buildings all strung together via enclosed breezeways. It had a big boiler room building that housed a laundry facility with a multistory smokestack. It also had its own water supply and water tower. The building was built brick covered with white limestone. Some of the walls were over 2 feet thick. All the buildings had underground service tunnels that had all the electrical and heating pipes. Enclosed between several of the buildings were several open courtyard gardens. I'm sure that there are likely still wild iris that bloom there still today given the thousands of plants that were there in the late 1970's.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mike Donathan 21 Aug 2001 9:12PM GMT 
BettyGordon75 21 Aug 2001 10:19PM GMT 
Mike Donathan 22 Aug 2001 8:54PM GMT 
Michael Donathan 23 Aug 2001 3:29AM GMT 
BettyGordon75 23 Aug 2001 9:31PM GMT 
Kathi Cooper 25 Aug 2001 11:54PM GMT 
BettyGordon75 26 Aug 2001 12:45AM GMT 
Kathi Cooper 26 Aug 2001 1:59AM GMT 
Mike Donathan 30 Aug 2001 1:10PM GMT 
Wmagdziarz 25 Feb 2013 12:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions