From the HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY (1883)
Mr. McPherson is the son of H. W. and Martha (Stone) McPherson, and was born at Wabash, Indiana, May 19th, 1849. He was educated at the university at Indianapolis, but now located at Irvington, Indiana. He graduated in the scientific course. He learned the trade of carpenter at Wabash and Indianapolis. He came here in February, 1876, and the first buildings of importance built by him were the residence of W. G. Porter, on St. Louis street, and the school building at Ash Grove. He built the first year about twenty-five houses, and in 1882, between seventy-five and a hundred. He employs about twenty-five hands, and is the largest contractor and builder in the city. In 1882 he built the residence of Col. Fellows. He was married November 25th, 1871, to Miss Matilda Stephens, of Wabash, Indiana. Their union has been blest with two sons and one daughter. Mr. McPherson is a member of the K. of H., and himself and wife are members of the Christian church.