Search for content in message boards

Whites from Casey Co. KY to Hward Co. MO

Replies: 1

Whites from Casey Co. KY to Hward Co. MO

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 5:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 9:15AM GMT
Surnames: WHITES
I have George White from Casey Co. KY. He died there late Feb or early March of 1824. His will was written Jan 19, 1824, probated in March court, and appraisement in June court of 1824 ( Mercer Co. KY Will Bk 7, 1818-1824). Listed was his wife, Jane, and children: George W., Andrew, Nathan, Patsy, William, John, Eson/Eason, Ely, Ester, Sally, Polly, Catherine, Maney (male or female ?), Isabel, and James White. Executors were Thomas Rutchings (Hutchings) and William Minor. Witnesses were Jaqueline A. Lewis, Thomas Thoman (Thomas ?), and Jacob Johnson. Appraisers wereLeaonard Taylor, Henry Harper, and William Cobb.
Wanting to know of connection with Randolph White and Margaret Kirkland White. Randolph died in Howard Co. MO in 1831. RANDOLPH and GEORGE are in the 1810 Casey-Mercer Co. KY census. Randolph was living next door to John Cooley (I pretty much have all them figured out!). George was living next door to Joseph Johnston. It seems these ancestors were following where forts were being built. Was their a fort in Howard Co. Maybe Randolph got killed by Indians. In 1820 Casey-Mercer Co. KY census, Randolph removed to MO--or elsewhere. His daughter, Margaret, married Samuel Jackson, in Owen Co. IN. In 1820 Casey Co. KY census, one Isaac and James now appear. All these lines connect to early Crawford Co. IL with Benoni White, John White, and William White. In 1840 Crawford Co. census, there are no White surnames. In 1850, some reappear. Benoni was b. in 1790, Perquimans/Pasquotank, NC. He seems to disappear off the face of the earth--unless he went by Beni or Benjamin. Benoni was the son of Benjamin White and Rachel Elliott (if I remember right off hand). I noticed in the 1830 census for Howard Co. MO. a Robert and a Christian. Does anyone know the connection here. My gr-gr grandfather was George Washington White---not the one born to George who died in 1824. My George W. was born in 1818, Casey Co. KY. I suspect they all lived in Liberty, which was Casey-Mercer at that time. My dad's Rousey/McGinnis/Phillips/Gaddis line also came from Casey-Mercer George Washington is on my mom's side.I think George may have been a gr-grandfather or some other relationship.
I can find nothing on the children listed in the will.
I am wondering if the children may have been taken in---which could account for some children being unaccounted for in censuses. Also, in 1820 Casey Co, for George White, two males show up that were born before 1800. There was a Hezekiah White shown in the Mercer Co. KY marriage index as marrying Susan Jackman about 1802 or 1806. Am wondering if that name should be Jackson. I have connected one witnesses in the 1824 will, Jaqueline A. Lewis. She was Jaqueline A. Taliaferro. I have connected Leonard Taylor. He was an appraiser. He married Sarah Blagrove. The Blagroves removed from Lunenburg, VA about 1785. According to a page I saw at that website, many were being taxed heavily by King George II---tobacco crops. It stated many went into NC and SC. I found one George White and one Joseph Johnston living next door to each other in 1790 SC Camden District, Lancaster Co. SC. There is a few Cooley lines in the 1790 SC census. This is very easy to use, and can be done at the SC GENWEB Archives. It is indexed, for example, Abb-Arr, Bae-Bat--and so forth. Now for some other names. William Cobb and Henry Harper appear in the 1820 Crawford Co. IL census----so they removed after that census. Some seem to make the same year census. Now, In 1820 Casey Co. Census, there is the name of William Herrington livng two doors down from George.
Jane Herrington may have been George's wife. I found a marriage for one George White and one Jane Herrington in Feb of 1824, Knox Co. IN. If this is my George, he died very soon after marriage. Daniel Herrington was in Crawford Co. IL 1820 census. I believe the name associated with some of the people in the will was Nancy Lewis. I found a marriage to one George White to a Nancy Lewis in 1799 in Accomack, VA. I found a marriage of one Nancy Lewis in Casey-Mercer in 1794 to William oe John Taylor. I just can't connect the right wife (wives) for good old George----or find his children.
The only two that I have found were Ely and Eson. Eson stayed in Casey Co. Ely appears in 1880 Census in OH living with William Davis family.
Now for my George Washington White. Born 1818, Casey Co. KY. His daughter, Isabel, was my gr-grandmother. All her documents state that her father and mother were born in Casey Co. KY. Isabel was b. 1 OCT 1849. In 1860 Crawford Co. census, George W. shows with wife Sarah, children:
James (1848 IN), Isabel (1849 KY), and Nancy (1850 IN). These are not the children of Sarah, but step-children. Other children born to George Washington and Sarah Malinda Turner White were Jesse (1852-1855, depending on what census one wants to believe), Christina (1859-1860). In 1865, George W. and Sarah have William Washington (m. Emily McDaniel). Note: One James McDaniel from Chester Co. SC, changed his name ot McDonal/McDonald. He came into Crawford Co. IL very early (Crawford Co. History Book).
Other children of George Washington and Sarah White were Alice White-Jones, and one John shows in 1880 Crawford Co. census living with George W. and Sarah. George Washington and Sarah Malinda Turner m. 19 AUG 1851, Crawford Co. IL. George d. 18 APR 1895 (IL death certificate, no mention of parents, just a certificate). Unknown when Sarah died or buried, but after 1880 census, and before George died in 1895. George was with the 47 IL US INF, and was buried at Palestine Cemetery, Crawford Co. IL (CW tombstone). Oddly, there is a George White buried at Old Robinson Cem---and believed to have been born in NY in 1820. I have read some of the pension applications for Mercer Co. KY that state the men were sent from all over, some going from county to county. One stated he came from Quebec. It gives perspective how many were where they were at times. Many were sent to the frontier to fight Indians. I know the Wilderness Trail from SC goes straight to Boonesboro, Harrodsburg, and Bryant's Station, Kentucky.
Harrodsburg was considered the Gateway to the Frontier very early on. Oddly, George and family, except for Jesse, are not in 1870 Crawford Co. IL census or the 1870 Casey Co. census. I do not have access to 1850 Boyle---he also disappears in 1850. Jesse White was staying with a family called Cress. I suspect one Carrie Cress may have been a White. Alice m. Oliver Jones from Switzerland Co. IND. I found a George White m. to Lucy Ann Baker in Owens Co. IN in 1846----so am wondering if this is my George Washington and the mother of James, Nancy, and Isabel White. No trace of James or Nancy. Margaret (Randolph's daughter) married in Owen Co. IN---so have that one connection that this could be my George. My gr-grandmother m. James Daniel Reynolds, 13 JULY 1865, Robinson, Crawford Co. IL James Daniel was the son of James and Eliza Ann Spurling Reynolds (m. 1 JULY 1830,
Green Co. KY, Green Co. KY Marriage Bk 7, compiled by Joan Gibe, The Researchers, Indianapolis, IN). James and Isabel removed to Wapella, DeWitt Co. IL--where both died---James in 1913, and Isabel in 1922. The name of Jackson seems to follow my mother's parents, Sarah Elizbeth Reynolds Williamson and William Albert Williamson. There is a (unreadable) male Jackson living as a boarder in McLean Co. IL in 1920 Bloomington, IL census. One Rosa Jackson was listed wrongly as the other of my grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth Reynolds. Her dad was listed as John, and not James Reynolds. My uncle later told family members that he was so upset that he put the wrong people on the certificate.
SO, I am sorry for such a long mail, but this is the first time I have done a message at this board. If anyone has any of these names (will of 1824 and others that link), sure would like to hear from you. I am trying to help George Washington's 3rd gr-granddaughter, Thelma (now 86 yrs old) find out about her family before she leaves this world.
Shari in SC (originally from IL)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ShariPhillips... 5 Oct 2004 11:50PM GMT 
Cecilia Joder 13 Feb 2012 3:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic