Search for content in message boards

James Martin

Replies: 2

Re: James Martin

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Jan
Can you tell me a bit more...not my family line....have you located him on census records?

I ask because you are looking at the listing on the death record of his being "insane". He was at the Poor Farm...tells me he was most likely not able to pay for medical care & had an injury. He probably died of that injury (gange green had set in)

Not everyone in an insane asylum or poor farm was mentally ill. I did a lot of research on an insane asylum in California...and in the early days, up until about 1940 actually...folks were comitted who were definately sane.

The following James Martin's wife died before the 1910 census (she is on the 1900 census)..he could have been grieving, or, as I mentioned...he had a bad injury of some kind and was put into the poor farm for lack of finances, or he was crazy with pain.

One entry in the Stockton, CA state hospital items I found...a man found a large amount of gold in 1850...went to the assayers office, jumping up and down and generally thrilled he was now rich...The assayer and two other men had him comitted...crazy with joy...and crazy folks couldn't own a claim...so the sherrif and assayer took the claim as their own. That man died in the State Hospital...you have to be signed out by those who signed you in...and of course the sherrif and assayer weren't going to do that.
One lady in 1890's...her husband had her comitted because she kept reading those "Trashy romance novels"...and he then married someone else. She also died in the hospital.

A lady I met in 2005, her grandma died in the Stockton State Hospital about 1920's...and her husband had her comitted because she stopped caring for him and the children...stayed in bed and cried all day...Mattie died of cervical cancer...she was dying and in pain...her hubby took the kids and moved to another city..remarried.

I have located one that may be him...
1910 United States Federal Census 1910 United States Federal Census
Name: James Martin
Age in 1910: 43
Birth Year: 1867
Birthplace: Indiana
Home in 1910: St Francois, Saint Francois, Missouri
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James Martin 43
Sophia Martin 15
Elmer Martin 13
Charles Martin 10
Lelia Martin 5

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: St Francois, Saint Francois, Missouri; Roll: T624_808; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0094; ; FHL microfilm: 1374821.

Source Information:
---------------------

If the above looks like the James you seek...then I also found him on the 1900 census...wife was Martha b in Indiana, married 15 years.

Let me know if I have he right man

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanMoore60 19 Dec 2012 4:39PM GMT 
thomasker2 9 Feb 2013 4:17PM GMT 
margecam1952 9 Feb 2013 6:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic