Search for content in message boards

Battle of Pilot Knob/cave nearby

Replies: 8

Re: Battle of Pilot Knob/cave nearby

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for your detailed account.
Attending the 100 year event as a young boy, is what raised my curiosity regarding genealogy for the future.
I will give you my mother's account as written some time back.

Hallie Brown Radley born 1924 Arcadia, Mo.

I went to early school at Arcadia, Mo. through the 3rd grade in a 1 room school. We had a wood burning stove in it. There was no Kindergarten then and a new school was built at Ironton, a larger town 1 mile from Arcadia.
We had happy times then but were very poor.
I was named for Hallie Brown Clarkson, her father owned a summer home in Arcadia. They also lived in St. Louis and were pretty well off. He was either a broker or something else. She was older than me. Her dad gave me small change when I was a kid. We always thought I would inherit from them but didn't. My mom cleaned their house which was very large, when they entertained.
I remember my grandma telling us that she was a baby in arms during the Civil War and they hid in a cave across the highway from the Ironton train station.
I remember a little about playing at Fort Hill. This is where the Civil War was. We had cannon balls from there.
We went swimming in the small creeks in town. The school bus picked us up on Highway 21 near our home.
My uncle Louie (Louie Robinson) was gassed during the 1st World War. He survived that and was killed when a tree fell on him while hunting at Arcadia.
My dad was born in Blue Ridge, Oregon and came to Arcadia about 1911. He there met mom and they married 1913.
We moved to St. Louis in Sept. 1936. Dad couldn't find work as the depression was still on.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kbartlow23 14 Jan 2013 7:32PM GMT 
Karen Carty 15 Jan 2013 12:53AM GMT 
maryloujamesl 15 Jan 2013 4:48PM GMT 
kbartlow23 15 Jan 2013 7:19PM GMT 
TomACaulley 15 Jan 2013 5:14PM GMT 
kbartlow23 15 Jan 2013 7:25PM GMT 
coferwilma1 20 Jan 2013 1:29AM GMT 
kbartlow23 21 Jan 2013 10:12PM GMT 
coferwilma1 22 Jan 2013 10:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic