Search for content in message boards

POOR FARM CEMETERY

Replies: 8

Re: POOR FARM CEMETERY

Posted: 26 Mar 2014 11:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
I stumbled across this thread again quite by accident this morning and thought I would try to answer some of the questions that have been posed in this thread. A few years ago, I did a book about another Iron County cemetery and while doing research in the Missouri Death Certificates database came across an African-American (Willis Cole) being buried at the Iron County Poor Farm or the County Farm as it was called.

Rick Walker, the creator of the Find-A-Grave listings for the burials at the County Farm Cemetery, researched the same database and other sources to come up with the other names listed. I then took Rick's list and checked it against a couple of other sources, added a couple more names and published a paper in the newsletter of the Iron County Genealogy Society.

If anyone is interested in getting a copy of the article emailed to them, you can contact me at jabney@hughes.net and I will send you a pdf file with the article. Marcus is still not on that list and I suspect that, based on is death certificate, that we was taken to Madison County (though death certificates are sometimes wrong too).

John Abney
President, Iron County Historical Society
Recording Secretary, Iron County Genealogy Society
Education Director, Missouri State Genealogical Association
and Happily Retired, though my wife will tell you that I am unemployed
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ggriffit 23 Feb 2003 8:47AM GMT 
tennislas 27 Jul 2010 6:13AM GMT 
Ruth Henry 1 Feb 2014 11:43PM GMT 
coferwilma1 3 Feb 2014 11:19PM GMT 
Roger Arrick 22 Mar 2014 9:37PM GMT 
Joyce Nash-Wa... 27 Jul 2010 6:42AM GMT