Mary Jane (Stollback/Stotlebuck) Coleman, W.N. Coleman, Glenn Walter Pennington

Replies: 2

Mary Jane (Stollback/Stotlebuck) Coleman, W.N. Coleman, Glenn Walter Pennington

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 7:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coleman, Colman, Pennington
Hi all,

I have a Mary Jane (Stollback/Stotlebuck) Coleman. She was
born in PA about 1821 (from census extrapolation). I find her on the 1850, Shelby County, MO census with husband George; on the 1860 census in Shelby County, MO with her
husband; on the 1870 census in Shelby County, MO without her
husband and on the 1880 census as Colman with her daughter Elizabeth. Her husband totally disappears. There is a George Coleman in one of the MO inf divisions for the Civil War that might be him...I have to request the military
records to confirm this. I cannot find Mary Jane on any further censuses. I found her death certificate last year. No real clues there (although the spelling of her maiden name was totally different--hence the two
different spellings above). Based on a note from another researcher, she might have been from Somerset County, PA.

Thanks to a very nice RAOGK volunteer, I now have her
obituary.. She died on 25 Feb 1908 in KC, MO. This is her entire obituary:

The Kansas City Times, Wednesday, February 26, 1908 on page 7.
The Death of Mary Jane Coleman
Mrs. Mary Jane Coleman, 87 years old, a widow, died last night at the home of her son, W.N. Coleman, 2115 Amie Street. She was born in Pennsylvania and had lived in Kansas City twenty years. The funeral arrangements have
not been made.

So, if she was in Kansas City for twenty years, she should be on the 1900 census. Also, this W. N. Coleman should be on the 1900 census (and maybe the 1910-1930 censuses also). I can't find either on the 1900 census. Also, this
W.N. Coleman is not on any of the other censuses I have found.

My grandfather's obituary says he was the last of 5. The 1860 census lists: Margaret (married to a Davis), Elizabeth (no info on her), Melinda (married to Cupp), George (no info on him) and Frank (Francis, my
ggrandfather). There is other incorrect info in his obit so the # of children could be incorrect also.

Two questions:

Does anyone have any information about this W.N. Coleman or Mary Jane Coleman? Their ggrandson, Glenn Walter Pennington (my father), lived in Kansas City and Gladstone, MO for most of his adult life.

Is there any way to find out which census enumeration district 2115 Arnie Street, KC, MO would have been
in for the 1900 (or 1910) census?

Thanks!

Martha

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MENZEL 24 Jul 2008 1:06PM GMT 
WilliamAnders... 6 Dec 2012 6:28PM GMT 
MENZEL 6 Dec 2012 11:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions