Search for content in message boards

Dan and Mike Smith

Replies: 1

Dan and Mike Smith

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Hannah
Hi all, I have been looking for the parents of Daniel Thomas “Dan” Smith (b. 1882) and his brother Mike Smith (b. 1878) for a lonnnng time now and unfortunately do not have much more to go on than I did way back when I started. Dan Smith is my g-grandfather. I was told by my grandparents that he and his brother Mike were orphaned when Dan was young.

The father was evidently killed in a mining accident in Missouri. I was told that it was a coal mine, but I know that there are several different types of mining in the Missouri area so I am open to some deviation from that particular part of the story.

I am told that their mother died soon after the father. She evidently had some degree of Cherokee lineage and was en route to the Oklahoma area for an enumeration when she died of tuberculosis.

Those two quick bios sum up all that I know of this couple. No names or other details have survived unfortunately. I know that Dan and Mike both wound up in Adair county I am not sure when they arrived (though my gut instinct tells me it was relatively soon after Dan was born). I have a possible match for Dan on the 1900 census in Stilwell, OK. I have a marriage certificate for him and Lula Cooper in 1912 in Stilwell. They had two daughters there, then moved on to Ranger, TX sometime around 1916. Mike can be found on the 1910 and 1920 census in Bunch, Adair county, OK.

Dan (and maybe Mike, though it is possible that he was old enough to go out on his own) were taken in by a family named Hannah in Oklahoma. I’m relatively confident that I have narrowed this down to being John W Hannah and his wife Julia. I have been in contact with some nice members of that family that do indeed have a family tale of there being a Dan Smith that lived with them, but so far there have been no details emerge from that connection.

All paper records are pretty consistent in stating that Dan and Mike were born in Missouri. My grandparents had mentioned Joplin as being where Dan was born, but I’ve nothing to go on but that statement.

If you ever stumble across something that sounds similar and remember this story, I would deeply appreciate hearing about it!

Many thanks,
Jason
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jas0420 31 Jan 2013 2:40AM GMT 
shepard999 2 Mar 2013 9:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions