Search for content in message boards

Nancy DELANEY (nee DUREN) Festus, MO b 1934 d 2012

Replies: 2

Re: Nancy DELANEY (nee DUREN) Festus, MO b 1934 d 2012

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 7:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Drew,
I see you are new to genealogy research, at least based on the number of postings on these message boards. Her obit (below) identifies her brothers and brother-in-law and children. I would suggest NOW would be a good time to "interview" them to obtain their memories of their sibling and mother. Interview as part of a family reunion brings out lost memories in a general discussion (record it). Genealogy databases and records only show "facts" and in a lot of cases, the "facts" are in error. The US Census is FILLED with mistakes. But, family lore often creates their own errors. Start a family tree with individual folders on persons. Ancestry.com has many posted family trees, I OFTEN find errors in them. Many just add info from other trees without doing any research.

I also find some "volunteers" that provide definately wrong information. Yesterday, a woman in Germany was asking if a family in Missouri was the same one in 1940 as one found in the 1930 Census. This "volunteer" said "Yes." I proved it was NOT. This volunteer could have lead this German woman down a LONG mistake.

Nancy's obit, published August 8, 2012, St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Delaney, Nancy J. (nee Duren), 77 of Festus, MO., retired bottler with AnheuserBusch. August 7, 2012. Beloved mother of Tisha (Todd) Vandemore, Gary Merkle, Sue (Ron) Navratil, and the late David (Marilyn survives) Merkle; dear grandmother of 10. Services: Visitation 10 a.m. with funeral at 1 p.m. Friday at VINYARD'S Festus. Interment Rose Lawn Memorial Gardens, Crystal City, MO.

I'm sure you know the names identified. Visit them, make copies of their photographs (if you have a scanner and a laptop or even a desktop computer. I did this a few years ago, took a large desktop computer, monitor and scanner to a family reunion and copied all the pictures family members brought).

Her burial as documented on www.findagrave.com (build a directory of good genealogy databases on your computer, with subdirectories, etc).
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=de...;

Information found in the US Census offers a lot of clues on families. The day of enumeration(the day the contact was made) over the different census can prove or disprove some facts, even identify WRONG persons being identified by others.

The 1900 Census of Perry, St. Francois County, Missouri. Enumerated 27 June).
William Alaxander(as written), born April 1846, age 54, born in Missouri to both parents born in North Carolina, married 27 years. A Farmer, owned his property.
Addaline(as written), born Feb 1853, age 47, born in MO to father born in Tennessee, mother in MO. Mother of three/two living (although only Marvin is identified).
Marvin K, born Aug 1885.
Etta Duren(as written and transcribed), Niece, born March 1890 in MO to both parents born in MO.
Ralph, nephew, born Aug 1893 in MO to both parents born in MO.
--The family relationships are "usually" based on the Head of Household, so in this case the Duren children were "probably" children of a sibling to William.
--The fact that William was a farmer might actually help find where his farm was located. The Bureau of Land Management has a database of land patents
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx
issued under the Homestead Act (and other Congressional Land Acts)
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ah-homestead.html . Often I find these records and using other databases, can actually show where their land was located.

I would NOT pay a genealogical society or paid "genealogist" to research. I have often found payments made for "nothing found," when in fact there was a lot of information available. Use posted family trees for "basic" information, but always verify. Almost on a daily basis I find a number of posted trees having the same WRONG information, copied from one original tree that had the wrong data. Even obituaries and death certificates have wrong information, based on the knowledge of the "informant." So, gather all the info you can on Nancy and her family from living members...NOW is the best time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
drew_vandemor... 27 Feb 2013 3:54AM GMT 
judyartley53 26 Jun 2013 9:51PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 27 Jun 2013 1:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions