Search for content in message boards

William and Isabella Poma Johnson

Replies: 9

William and Isabella Poma Johnson

Posted: 26 Sep 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Sep 2001 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Poma, Balmer, Thompson, Porter
A recent discovery by a new researcher (Debbie Robinson) to the family of William and Isabella (Poma) Johnson has cast new light and probably a few revelations into the research of this family. Debbie has William Johnson's naturalization record from Madison County, MO. It states that William came from Westmorland County, England.

With nearly endless research by three of us over the past few days, I feel that I can safely say that there is a serious flaw in past research. Marriage records that have been found in Dufton, Westmoreland County, England (through IGI) show William Johnson marrying Isabella Balmer, daughter of Samuel and Isabella (Lamb) Balmer in Dufton on 4 May, 1826. Those of you that have research on this family should recognize the name of this Isabella's father--Samuel Balmer in the very similar given names of William and Isabella's third son Samuel "Bamer" Johnson.

Although this research is yet unproven, it is highly likely at this point that the Poma name is in error. Now for the questions. Where did the Poma name come from in the William and Isabella Johnson research? It is in all that I have seen from other researchers. But there is nothing that gives proof. There is NO record of ANY Poma in Westmoreland County England. Does anyone have information on the middle name of Samuel Bamer Johnson? An "L" in Balmer would certainly have easily been silent, leaving a pronunciation of "bomber". I feel that it is highly likely that Samuel Bamer Johnson, son of William and Isabella Johnson was a namesake for his grandfather.

If the information that those of us doing this research is, indeed correct (and I believe that it is) I think there is an open door in these English records to extract several more generations of ancestors from the Johnson and related lines. I have already extracted information that gives William Johnson's parents, John and Lucy Hall Johnson a family of 10 or more children (siblings to William). It is likely that three of William's brothers came with him to Madison and St. Francois County, MO.

Anyone having any information, clues, or questions on either the Poma or Balmer name, please e-mail me.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdh61851 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Amy Ashbrook 2 Sep 2013 8:55PM GMT 
mgmstl 3 Sep 2013 10:59AM GMT 
Amy Ashbrook 3 Sep 2013 1:45PM GMT 
jdh61851 3 Sep 2013 8:40PM GMT 
mgmstl 4 Sep 2013 1:05AM GMT 
jdh61851 4 Sep 2013 2:59PM GMT 
mgmstl 4 Sep 2013 3:11PM GMT 
mgmstl 4 Sep 2013 4:40PM GMT 
mgmstl 3 Sep 2013 6:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions