Search for content in message boards

Martha (Beshears) Hodson (1857-1896), wife of Zachariah

Replies: 2

Martha (Beshears) Hodson (1857-1896), wife of Zachariah

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodson, Beshears
I am having trouble getting past a brick wall I have hit, at an ancestor of mine named Martha. She was the third wife of Zachariah Hodson (1830-1899), who was born in Henry County, Indiana to parents John and Sarah (Mills) Hodson. They had at least four children: Jonas (1885), Enoch (1886), Rhoda (1888), and Ellis (1891). I am not certain whether Beshears was Martha's maiden name or the name of an earlier husband of hers.

I currently have two primary source documents that can be definitely attributed to her: her marriage certificate to Zachariah, and the tombstone of Zachariah and her.

The marriage license reads:
Marriage between Zachariah Hodson of Pineville, County of McDonald and State of Mo., who is over the age of twenty-one years, and Martha E. Beshears of Pineville, County of McDonald and State of Mo., who is over the age of eighteen years.

The tombstone in Tracy Cemetery in Pineville reads:
ZECHRIAH HODSON
BORN AUG 16 1830 DIED OCT 19 1899
MARTHA L HODSON
BORN AUG 12 1857 DIED MAR 9 1896

It is odd that she is listed alternatively as "Martha E." and "Martha L."

The closest match I have found to another Martha Beshears in the area comes from the 1880 census, where a 20-year-old named Martha is listed as the wife of a 29-year-old Thomas Beshears and the mother of a 1-year-old Lilla M. Beshears. This seems like a likely candidate, but her age is off by at least a couple of years.

Can anyone help me find more out about Martha, including her parentage, maiden name, birth place, etc?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ScottParkey 28 Jul 2009 3:16AM GMT 
Harvey Hodson 14 Oct 2013 2:53PM GMT 
ScottParkey 1 Nov 2013 4:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions