Mobley/Campbell families circa 1833 Morgan County, Mo

Replies: 8

Re: Mobley/Campbell families circa 1833 Morgan County, Mo

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell/Mobley
David:
I will do what I can to try to help. The Campbell/Mobley line is my husband's and we've just started work on it. This is what I have so far.
Benjamin Campbell, bc 1771, VA, dc 1877 Versailles, Morgan, Co., Mo
m. Chloe Faris 10 Mar 1791.
The following is from the Morgan County History, Volume One, 1979, in the Kansas State Historical Society.
George Campbell, along with his brother, Benjamin, came to Morgan County in 1832 in a wagon train from Cumberland Co., KY. They were the sons of Benjamin Campbell Sr. and Cloe Farris. Prior to KY, the Campbell family had come from Virginia, but little is know of that era as all records were destroyed in a fire at the Cumberland County Court House. George married a Mobley, and it is believed that the Mobley family was in the same wagon train that brought the Campbells to MO.

Wesley Campbell says they came in 1834 in covered wagons pulled by teams of oxen. Wesley also says that Ben had served with his father Hugh in the French and Indian Wars in 1787. Afterwards they moved from Augusta County, VA into Madison Co, KY. Their ancestors had come to VA via PA from Scotland and Ireland in the mid-1700's.

Wesley Campbell (b. 2 May 1860) would be a grandson of Benjamin and Chloe. Now old Ben supposedly died at age 106, so it's entirely possible Wesley heard these tales from his grandfather.

The list of Benjamin and Cloe's kids (that I have, and it's not my work) is: Samuel, James, John, William Franklin (Dave's direct line), Sally, Emily, Thomas, Benjamin, Elizabeth, George Warren, Martha, and Matilda.

William Franklin Campbell m. Elizabeth Mobely, dtr. of James Mobley/More/Moore and Peggy Ravlen (at least that's what the name looks like.

The Campbell book written by one of Dave's cousins some years ago is at home and my rotten memory doesn't allow much more than these notes.

I'm trying to get a Campbell book together for a reunion on Sept. 27th. Dave's mom had bits and pieces (lots of them) and then this Campbell Genealogy showed up from one of her sisters. There is hardly any documentation in it at all, but lots of info.

I don't know whether this is a help to you or not. Dave is becoming more interested in his heritage as I find stuff. I do plan to get him to Morgan County in the spring. It's probably a five hour drive from Topeka.

Hope any of this helps.

Nora

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
David E. Mobley 22 Jul 2003 10:48PM GMT 
bonashdav 23 Jul 2003 4:37AM GMT 
Nora_PattonTa... 17 Sep 2003 10:34PM GMT 
Elizabeth 8 Jul 2005 12:30AM GMT 
Elizabeth 8 Jul 2005 12:32AM GMT 
Nora Patton Taylor 11 Jul 2005 8:43PM GMT 
Darrel Carter 18 Sep 2003 6:44PM GMT 
Sdy417 27 May 2010 12:25AM GMT 
gl1940 27 May 2010 2:02PM GMT