Search for content in message boards

Who were the parents of Olive Matilda Jenkins (she married Benjamin Rufus More/Moore on 15 April 1847)?

Replies: 1

Re: Who were the parents of Olive Matilda Jenkins (she married Benjamin Rufus More/Moore on 15 April 1847)?

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 11:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore, Jenkins, Underwood, Linville
Hi Christy,

This is an old query I'm responding to, so it's uncertain whether you'll get my response, but what the heck.

I've just started researching a great-aunt's ancestry for her. It's on the other side of the family from the side I share with her, so I'm starting from scratch. Anyway, she is a great-granddaughter of Olive's. Lurana (Laurania Moore Barnum) was her grandmother.

Most of what my aunt knew was local to Humboldt County. Some of what I've learned in the interim came from your own earlier threads, and some from a file I ordered from the Family History Library (it's been shared online, perhaps within your own searches, and was written by Maud Devoy, a great-aunt or cousin or some such relative of my aunt's).

Olive's parents were not native to Nodaway, although she was born there. Olive's mother, Margaret, was a sister of John Underwood (a son of John and Sarah Watson Underwood, I believe), who led many to Northern California from St. Joseph, Missouri, during the Gold Rush days. (Olive's own husband, Benjamin Rufus Moore, was a victim of that gold fever, dying in a mine collapse or an attack by Indians -- accounts differ -- sometime around 1858 in Northern California.)

During most of her first, young, marriage, Olive was left alone to birth and raise her three daughters, supporting them and insisting that they attend school. Her husband kept leaving her to go look for gold, while she stayed home raising children and selling vegetables and milk and taking in washing. She later remarried, having applied for and received some kind of death certificate from the State of California in 1860 after hearing he’d died and then never seeing him again.

Anyway, to answer your original question, yes, Olive’s parents were Wesley Jenkins and Margaret Underwood. (BTW, I have a photo of Olive on ancestry.com, pieced together (Photoshopped) from shards of broken glass … but good enough to get a likeness of her in what must have been, I’d guess, her thirties.)

Meanwhile, I’m wondering who the Linvilles were who she lived with while Laurania was a baby (Benjamin had already left for California). I see from the 1850 census that James Linville had been born in North Carolina just before 1800. Was he a Jenkins or Underwood uncle???

Patricia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Christy Underwood 11 Nov 2006 7:21PM GMT 
OldBorders 16 Nov 2013 6:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions