Search for content in message boards

Jean-Michel Griffard or Griffaw??

Replies: 2

Jean-Michel Griffard or Griffaw??

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Griffaw, Griffar, Griffard, Divine, Cotner, Gibson
Looking to see if anyone has any info on Jean-Michel Griffard born in Ste. Genevieve October 1780. Parents were Jean-Alexis Griffard and Marie-Madelieine Tirard. According to the book "Francois Valle and his world Upper Louisiana before Lewis and Clark" by Carl J. Ekberg, his godfather, and grandfather, was Jean-Baptiste Deguire.

There is a Micheal Griffard (Grifford)in the 1830 census in Ste. Genevieve. I can't find any other documents on this person.

I'm trying to see if he could be the father of my relative, Mary Elizabeth Griffaw. The Griffaw family I have been researching is located in Perry County starting in 1840 through to the 1900s. Can't find any info on the "Griffaws" until about the 1840s, but there are Griffard and Griffar families all over the area. Wondering if the name could have changed.

Micheal would have married Anna ??? before 1821 when Mary Elizabeth was born. They had 4 other children: Susan Mary, Michael, John-Baptiste Joseph, and Ann. Ann, the youngest, was born in 1835, and Anna (his wife) was remarried in Perry County in 1836 to Nathaniel Divine, and was again remarried to Spencer B.R. Davis in 1844 in Perry as well. So, we believe he probably died between 1835 and 1836.

His wife Anna lived to be 104 and his son John-Baptiste Joseph lived to be almost 90. I have a newspaper clipping stating he was born November 4, 1831 in Perry County. Anna and John-Baptiste Joseph were buried in Jefferson County.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
aymeebl 12 Oct 2010 3:19AM GMT 
caligirlhope 11 Nov 2013 6:45PM GMT 
judybelford 30 Nov 2013 1:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic