(Transcribed by Laura Paxton)
History of Cooper County MO 1919 by W F Johnson
Dr. John Sinclair Parrish, physician and druggist at Pleasant Green
and president of the bank at that place, where he has been engaged in
practice for nearly 30 years, is a native of Cooper County. He was born on
a farm near Speed, March 6 1863, son of David and Elizabeth (Sinclair)
Parrish, both of whom died in the days of his childhood, leaving him to be
reared by kinslof in this county.
David Parrish was a North Carolinian, born in 1807, who came to
Missouri in his young manhood and settled on a farm on Lone Elm Prairie,
Palestine township, this county, later moving to a farm near Speed, where
his last days were spent. During the rush of gold seekers to California in
1849, he made the trip across the plains with others from this section. He
presently returned and was content to remain here for the rest of his life.
He became a substantial farmer and died at his home near Speed in 1872.
David Parrish was twice married. By his first wife, who was a Miss Waller,
he was the father of seven children. AFter the death of the mother of these
children he remained a widower for 20 years, when in 1860, he married
Elizabeth Sinclair, who was born in Illinois. To that union five children
were born. Of these Doctor Parrish was the second in order of birth.
Dr. Parrish received excellent scholastic training for the arduous
profession to which he early devoted his talents, and has for many years
been the best known physicians in this county. Reared on the home farm near
Speed, which, after the death of his parents, was retained in the possession
of the family, his early schooling was received in the district school. He
then attended the old Parrish Institute at Bunceton, and thus prepared by
preliminary study, entered the State Normal School at Warrensburg, and after
his graduation from that institution was for five years engaged in teaching
school during the winters, continuing farming in the summers. In the
meantime, he had been devoting his leisure to the study of medicine and in
1888 entered Beaumont Hospital Medical College at St. Louis. From this
institution he was graduated in 1891 and began the practice of his
profession at Jamestown MO. He had been there but a few months, however,
when he returned to cooper County and located at Pleasant Green, where he
has since resided. In 1895, Doctor Parrish opened a drug store at Pleasant
Green and has since been carrying on the business in addition to the wide
practice he has enjoyed all these years. He was one of the organizers of
the Pleasant Green Bank and upon its organization was elected president of
the same. He is a democrat. Though reared in the Christian Church, has has
for years been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church (South). He is
affiliated with the local lodge of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
April 29 1895, Dr. John S. Parrish was married to Martha Elizabeth
Rissler, who was born in Pettis County, daughter of John C. Rissler and
wife, the latter of whom was a Miss Longon, both natives of Virginia and to
this union two children have been born, Mary, born February 10 1897 and John
R., born in 1898 and died in 1907. Mary Parrish married James W. Stephens,
who was born in this county and who was with the American Expeditionary
Forces in France and was discharged June 11 1919 and now at home.