Search for content in message boards

Isaac W. Cotton

Replies: 10

Re: Isaac W. Cotton

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 2:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just finished speaking with my 82-year-old mother. Her mother died around 1969, at the age of 87 (I believe, maybe 84). That, of course would be my grandmother, maternal, whose name was Nanny or Nancy Loudermilk at the time of her death, (a married name, and the interesting thing was that each of her husbands had been named William, and preceded her in death - William Alsip had been my mother's father).

Grandma had to have been born in the late 1880s, was born in Kentucky, which was where she was left to finish raising her siblings, following the death of both of her parents. Since she was the oldest of several younger siblings, I will subtract a modest 25 years to give an estimated birth period of her parents as around the 1850s.

My grandmother was apparently old enough to have learned something of her ancestry, which she shared with my mother. But at 82-years-old, and with health issues, Mom is certain of some facts, and becomes confused about others - because she had also attempted to trace her ancestry herself years back, and may have been given some wrong information. I believe that my grandmother's mother was a Manning (by marriage). Her first name may have been Mary. My I will loosely estimate (by a 20-year subtraction) that her birth would have been in the 1830s. She, I believe, was the grandmother who had been born to Nancy Whitecotton, whom my grandmother was certain was a full-blooded Cherokee. To subtract another 20 years, I estimate her birth around 1810s. Nancy's father was full-blooded Cherokee but at this point Mom becomes confused. She will often say his first name was Aaron, as if repeating her mother, but will then say that her geneology notes have him as Isaac Newton Whitecotton. Too, Mom talks of either Nancy or her grandmother Manning also marrying a full-blooded Cherokee. So far as I know, Nancy lived out her adult life in Kentucky, probably around Whitely county, as did her descendents up to my grandmother - who lived a large part of her adult life in Kentucky. They tended to have large families. My grandmother was a beautiful woman, even in her golden years, and clearly possessed Native American features. Mom tells that grandma used to wash her hair (Mom"s) in coffee to assure its darkness matched her own.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
colllisa 10 Feb 2009 10:21PM GMT 
cbjames49 10 Feb 2009 11:50PM GMT 
NCAries 11 Feb 2009 11:37AM GMT 
cbjames49 11 Feb 2009 3:00PM GMT 
1creichardt 11 Feb 2009 4:30PM GMT 
cbjames49 11 Feb 2009 5:09PM GMT 
1creichardt 11 Feb 2009 5:35PM GMT 
cbjames49 11 Feb 2009 7:25PM GMT 
1creichardt 11 Feb 2009 7:37PM GMT 
MaryET2013 24 Jun 2013 8:35PM GMT 
per page