Search for content in message boards

Nancy Catherine Hunt m. Daniel Payne correction

Replies: 0

Nancy Catherine Hunt m. Daniel Payne correction

Posted: 1 Jan 2014 11:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hunt, Payne, Cooper
New information has come to light that shows I have had the wrong parents for Nancy Catherine Hunt. She was previously placed as a daughter of Daniel Hunt and Charolotte Smith of Lawrence Co., TN because of her marriage there to Daniel Payne in 1841.

However, we now see that there was another Hunt family living in Lawrence County in 1840 census - George W. Hunt and wife Theresa Patton Cooper who m. 1818 in Williamson Co., TN. They are found in 1830 Maury Co. census with 5 children and are in Lawrence Co. 1840 census with 5 children - one female the right age to be Nancy Catherine. When Nancy married in 1841 a Robert N.Q. Hunt signed her marriage bond - he was a son of Squire Hunt who was married to Theresa Cooper's sister Sidney Cooper. So Robert was a 1st cousin.
Posted on the Worldconnect page for George W. Hunt by longtime researcher Neil Smith (desc. of George W. Hunt) is a letter written by Theresa Hunt in 1855 to her brother in Mississippi telling about her children and she mentions she's "not heard from Mr. Payne and family since January".
Also, Nancy C and Daniel Payne named their first daughter Theresa and this daughter who married her cousin Lewis Payne, named a son George..

All these coincidences add up to enough evidence to remove Nancy Catherine from Daniel Hunt's family and now place her in George W. and Theresa (Cooper) Hunt's family.

I realize this change affects a lot of existing Ancestry trees and I will be trying to fix this long standing error for years to come. If you need more information I'd be glad to provide it.

Pam Smith
Dallas, OR

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions